AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'd like to find a used laptop/notebook. This would simply be used for writing and some Net browsing. Software would be Final Draft v6 or v7, plus IE and Outlook.

Buying new would be insane. Buying used is scary. eBay is full of used laptops, but 99% of them have no warranty coverage and are not even covered against DOA. Spending $300 to $500 for a laptop that might be a paperweight is beyond stupid.

There are used laptops at tigerdirect.com. For instance, an IBM Thinkpad T22 or T20 for $499 with a 3 month warranty ($99 for a 1 year). But that's really more than I want to spend.

Are there any sellers on eBay known to be good, professional and that have an acceptable DOA policy?

Where else can I look?

I really don't want to spend more than $300.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Local newspaper and Trading Post-type ads. Some computer stores and many computer service techs. Check the same sources as above.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanksgiving Day is right around the corner. Keep an eye out for your local sales. I've typically seen then for around %500 (after rebates).

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found one a bit out of my price range at eCost. I have a 15 month warranty and a decent machine on the way to me. I spent more than I wanted, but not even close to what I'd pay for a low end new one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look for a local computer show that may have some systems that have comeo off of lease. They wont be the latest and greatest but they will do.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Matt,

I can highly recommend a Thinkpad 600 off eBay. I bought one for Ms Sal and one for a friend. Great machines, and since IBM sold about a zillion of them - mostly to corporate clients - IBM still puts out drivers, accessories are easy to get, etc.

There are a number of professional sellers on ebay - each has their own terms and feedback. The biggest ones have hundreds/thousands of laptop purchase feedbacks, so you can get a really good feel for what you are getting into. If you are picky and stick with the most reputable sellers, you should have no problems.

Under $350 shouldn't be a problem, unless you want the latest and greatest 600X with DVD player (there were 3 basic series- 600, 600E, 600X - with dozens of different configurations of each).

Keep in mind that many of the best sellers ship with blank HD's and no OS, so factor that into your costs. That's the way corporate post-lease programs are run. Besides, you really don't want to buy a used PC of any kind that you don't FDISK first.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice and help, my friends. I have made a purchase and hope I have not bought a paper weight. :D

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Thanks for the advice and help, my friends. I have made a purchase and hope I have not bought a paper weight. :D
I hope it was a Mac; otherwise, even if it works it's a paperweight.:p

Just kidding, really. Good luck.

:D

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll get a lit together this weekend.

The laptop is here and is sort of a paper weight. The battery is pretty much DOA. It dies after 5 minutes. I have to charge and then use it fully five full times before IBM will replace it.

The other problem is that there is no system recovery CD with the unit, so I cannot run the system recovery, which means I cannot fix the Network problem with the laptop. And since their customer number is BUSY all day long, I cannot get a hold of them.

Oh joy. :(

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
At least some models have the setup on a hidden partition on the hard drive. On those, you press the blue button when booting up and you can access a menu that lets you start from scratch.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found it, used it, fixed it. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.