AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Panny PT-50LC13 LCD TV and Tweeter told me there extended warranty was 799 for four years. I've seen that sears and BB have it for 399. Can I purchase one from someone else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a repairmaster 5 year extention from eFunctional.com. It was around $150. It does not cover the bulb or annual service... just an extention of panasonic's warrenty.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll sell you one! :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Speaking of warranties.

I just read my booklet from Circuit City and it says they are allowed to use refurbished parts to repair the TV's.

The most alarming thing to me was that in the store they told me that I could get the product replaced if it failed 3 times or I was unhappy with it's performance over time. The warranty states that they have the option to replace my tv with a new or used product with similar features but not necessarily the same brand. This does not sound good at all.

I have heard some of you guys say that you have the store managers sign your receipt as to coverage. My warranty booklet says that it is the sole controlling agent regardless of what you may have been told in the store or by any other of it's representatives. They can promise you the world and not have to deliver.

Another thing that bugs me is that your purchased warranty over laps with the manufactures warranty. I called Hitachi and found out that I could get an extended warranty from a company that serves them and it would start at the end of Hitachi's warranty as long as you bought it before it expired.

The guy's at Circuit City made they warranty sound great but after reading it I thinking I may want my money back. What to do? :confused:

Does anybody have any good advice or experience with the CC warranty?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PoolShark
Speaking of warranties.

I just read my booklet from Circuit City and it says they are allowed to use refurbished parts to repair the TV's.

The most alarming thing to me was that in the store they told me that I could get the product replaced if it failed 3 times or I was unhappy with it's performance over time. The warranty states that they have the option to replace my tv with a new or used product with similar features but not necessarily the same brand. This does not sound good at all.

I have heard some of you guys say that you have the store managers sign your receipt as to coverage. My warranty booklet says that it is the sole controlling agent regardless of what you may have been told in the store or by any other of it's representatives. They can promise you the world and not have to deliver.

Another thing that bugs me is that your purchased warranty over laps with the manufactures warranty. I called Hitachi and found out that I could get an extended warranty from a company that serves them and it would start at the end of Hitachi's warranty as long as you bought it before it expired.

The guy's at Circuit City made they warranty sound great but after reading it I thinking I may want my money back. What to do? :confused:

Does anybody have any good advice or experience with the CC warranty?

With a CC warranty the largest benifit is you get to deal with CC instead of someone else. CC is almost always better prepared to help you...

If a legitimate problem was to arrise and you created an issue with upper MGMT... it would be dealt with quickly and effectively.

CC does not used refurbished parts in TV's to my knowledge... I can ask my repair tech because I am curious myself... I am almost sure that clause in the brochure is for other (non video display) products... Probably like computers and things, where a refurbished modem or hardrive could be installed if it's the only option available. (technology changes so fast it happens)

Realize that when somthing goes wrong with your tv multiple times... or nonrepairable even occurs... You get your *FULL* money back in store credit immeadiatly to spend on a new product.

meaning if you pay $3000 for an RPTV today... and three years it get's hit by say power damage, and is non repairable... You get that FULL $3000 back... to buy a new TV with; even if the same quality TV only costs $1500 at that time.

So... in no way to you get "screwed" like your thinking...

Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Mfusick, AVS troublemaker ;), said on 09-12-03:

Why did you not just buy it somewheres where the warranty was cheaper and covered the bulb in writing?
In 2002 I bought a Samsung HLM507W as part of the AVS Power Buy: $3,169 plus $254.00 for a 4-year "RepairMaster" extension from Warrantech. Samsung's own warranty covers lamp replacement (in the first 15 months) and Warrantech covers whatever Samsung covers, according to them and my TV repair guy.

But it's not "in writing." Where on Earth did you find a warranty that covered the bulb in writing?

Refer to Post #5

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Syzygy ... have you had to do any repairs under the Warrantech warranty? If so, how was your experience?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
No, not yet; I just finished using up the 15-month Samsung warranty.

Samsung treated me very well, replacing my HLM507w with a much nicer HLN507w because no one could figure out how to fix my buzzing speakers (cabinet resonance). Last month the color wheel started making loud sawing noises (bad bearing), and it was replaced within two weeks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
In answer to my post (#13), Mfusick sent me a PM saying, "Circuit City covers the bulb in writing."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anyone know if you have to purchase the Circuit CIty Warranty at the time you purchase the TV. I declined when I purchased (6-8 months ago) but am thinking I might want to get one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They use GE and have told me it covers the bulb, but fine print says "items such as, bulbs etc." not covered. I paid $450 for a five year warranty and I have about a week to cancel it if want to (before 30 days). I have a Sony GWlll 42" Feb 2004 build. Any advice appreciated!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.