AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://vid.me/IBlW

That's a video of my turntable hum. It's a U-Turn Orbit with no ground wire. The volume level on the receiver is medium-loud and I have headphones against the microphone of the phone. The hum is significantly audible through speakers when the music fades away. The only component plugged into an outlet is the receiver. There is no change if I plug the receiver into a different outlet. The hum is not there when the TT RCA cables are unplugged from the receiver. The hum is not there when any other devices are being used. It is clearly coming from the TT.

The weird thing is that I've had two other TTs hooked up and they all have hum. I have had two different cartridges on this one. Have they all been faulty TTs, or is that just normal?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
https://vid.me/IBlW

That's a video of my turntable hum. It's a U-Turn Orbit with no ground wire. The volume level on the receiver is medium-loud and I have headphones against the microphone of the phone. The hum is significantly audible through speakers when the music fades away. The only component plugged into an outlet is the receiver. There is no change if I plug the receiver into a different outlet. The hum is not there when the TT RCA cables are unplugged from the receiver. The hum is not there when any other devices are being used. It is clearly coming from the TT.

The weird thing is that I've had two other TTs hooked up and they all have hum. I have had two different cartridges on this one. Have they all been faulty TTs, or is that just normal?

You need to install a ground wire between the metal base of the arm support assembly and the grounded chassis of the receiver.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ever solve this problem?
Yes. It has been a while, but I think the problem was the preamp. U-Turn has been awesome through multiple issues I've had to troubleshoot. It's almost never a problem with the U-Turn Orbit, yet they've helped me troubleshoot so many times. I have nothing but good things to say about them now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts