AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Due to the slumping economy Ive been informed by the wife that I need to pare down my home theatre renovation from a 14 x 30 man cave to a smaller 13x14 man closet... Now I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make this work and the best I can come up with is the projector being mounted approximately 13' from the screen with seating being around 10' from the screen.

Whats nagging at me though is with the seating being so close... Is it even worth getting a projector vs a Kuro or other high end display... Given pricing right now Id be paying about $3500 canadian for a epson 6500 UB and $2825 for a 50 inch Kuro or $4000 for a 60 inch...

Another issue that's got me on the fence is rear surround sound if I get to 6500UB I'm probably going to be sitting almost against the back wall which is going to make it difficult to get a good surround effect...

*sigh*

What would you do?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Waynor, your man closet sounds a lot like my situation. I went the projector route and would not change it. I am using a Benq W5000 with a UH380 anamophic lens to throw a 108" wide 2.35 image from 12.5 ft. The seating distance is 10ft. from eyes to screen, which for me is just right. The level of immersion is just so much better than you can get with a TV.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Waynor: I am sitting about 12 feet back from a 106" diagonal screen. Works great I find movies very immersive and I can see what's going on in all corners of the screen without having to pan and scan if you know what I mean. With a high resolution projector I think you will find that your room will be big enough for a projector and you have a much better experience than with a 60" flat screen. If you can find a dealer with a projector screen set up similar to the size you want and measure your real sitting position plunk down a chair and see what you think. Most dealers I know woulld be happy to try and recreate your home conditions so that you can make an informed decision.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 7.1 ....5.1 should be fine and it will save you extra coin in speakers and amp. YOu can always add 2 rear channels and amp later...much easier than extending the room!!

I would also consider making it 18 ft long as a square room is not optimum for Sound Quality and the extra 4 feet will give you the extra room for the proper screen size and seating distances. Don't base your conclusions just because a few people like sitting extra close to a digital projector, most don't.

JC

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
"Is it even worth getting a projector vs a Kuro or other high end display."

Absolutely. I'd get about an 8' wide screen for that distance, and there's no way to match that w/a flatscreen anywhere near that price.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynor /forum/post/15442876

Due to the slumping economy Ive been informed by the wife that I need to pare down my home theatre renovation from a 14 x 30 man cave to a smaller 13x14 man closet...

What would you do?

Options:

1. Get a divorce.

2. Tell your wife that you're going to have a 14' x 30' room, not a ninny closet.

3. Make it into a "couples cave" and make sure the system is super easy to use, why should it be a "man cave"
? Women love theaters as much as the men do if it is made easy for the family to use. It's a wonderful place for women and their friends to hang out. Maybe then she will give you permission to make it 14 x 30
. I'm mystified why so many theaters are "man caves". If they are easy to use, they invariably end up being "family caves".

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I was also going to suggest a divorce but you know what they say... Q: "Why does a divorce cost so much?" A: "Because it's worth it!"

I'd try to compromise on the plan, or do it incrementally over time. 14x13 is just too small. 14x20 would be great, though.

Definitely DO get a projector! And do it NOW. It will inspire you to finish the rest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In regards to 7.1 vs. 5.1 sound... in my experience those who tell you that you won't notice the difference have a 5.1 set up or don't have a 7.1 source or processor to take full advantage of 7.1 sound. My room is in the basement and is 16' X 13' with the rear surround speakers mounted on the rear wall about a foot from the 8' ceiling. The rear sound adds to the theater experience like you won't believe even though they are almost directly above and behind the viewer/listener.

Take your wife to see some home theaters in your area. Put a post up for home theaters in your area. A lot of AVS folks would be happy to have you and your wife over to see a movie. I didn't and wish I had. I bought a cheap sofa for the theater and made a ceiling mount and hung the pull down screen from the suspended ceiling (all to stay in the wife's budget allowance). When I played the first movie (which was one of her favorites) "The Rock" she was so impressed that she went to Sam's Club and bought 5 nice leather recliners because the sofa was too uncomfortable and she was going to be spending more time than she thought in the theater. She painted the walls a dark green to help with contrast. For father's day that year she and the kids bought me a popcorn machine and just now she gave me the OK to buy a new 1080 pj! My wife at least really did not know just how involving and enjoyable a home theater can be and if she had, we would have saved money. We haven't seen a movie in a theater for a long time now and that savings adds up also!

All home theaters are a compromise and work in progress. The main thing is to get started and have fun!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 /forum/post/15443064

Waynor, your man closet sounds a lot like my situation. I went the projector route and would not change it. I am using a Benq W5000 with a UH380 anamophic lens to throw a 108" wide 2.35 image from 12.5 ft. The seating distance is 10ft. from eyes to screen, which for me is just right. The level of immersion is just so much better than you can get with a TV.

I have almost the same set up as f300v10. Epson 1080p projector with UH380 lens , 109 inch wide 2.40 ratio screen and one row of three powered leather recliners with buttshakers at 10 feet away. I solved the 7.1 by putting the rear and surround speakers in-wall to save space. It's a very cozy theater and perfect for watching BluRay movies. Most of the time it's just me in there or me and the wife so its perfect actually. The immersion factor is tremendous from that distance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find when I want to buy something that comes with a big price tag my wife just counters it with something that sparkles... Usually a diamond of some sort, lol..

HOWEVER, with that said... Her favorite components are the TPMC's... Thanks to Crestron she's able to push one button and everything just goes... so much easier...

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynor /forum/post/15442876

Hey guys,

Due to the slumping economy Ive been informed by the wife that I need to pare down my home theatre renovation from a 14 x 30 man cave to a smaller 13x14 man closet...

How much do you really save on construction (framing, drywall hanging, electrical) by decreasing the one dimension from 30' to 13'? The reason I ask is size is a pretty permanent thing. I know I've been unable to do some things in my Theater due to the size of the room. It just seems like changing the size is something that's bound to cause regrets later. If it's not an addition, I can't see it being that much more expensive (unless you're pulling out a load bearing or utility wall or something).

You can always par (way) back your plans for that 14x30 space, but you really can't ever get that extra 17' back.

I'd do my darnedest to get the space I'm dreaming of to simply exist. Everything else can wait if necessary. You can always upgrade projector, screen, add seating, room treatments, etc. Especially when 14x30 is a very nice size, and 14x13, is not so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.