AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I have 12 guage wire terminated with banana plugs running from AVR to the wall plate and use 10 guage wire on the back side of the wall plate running to the speaker?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/17014760

but why ? Most wall plate connectors will not accept 10 ga. wire and 12 ga. is good up to 100 feet or so. http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

i'm doing a 10 year face lift on my home theater. at the time, i just bought what ever speaker cable i was told to buy... the wire for the front 2 speakers that goes through the crawl space is 10 guage. i have 10 guage on both sides of the wall plate, but they are too short now (wall plate to avr) after redoing the shelves and I have some extra 12 guage to use (i only need 3 ft cable lenghts from wall to avr).

i'm just making do with what i have from 10 years ago. although, i've read about some wire corroding or whatever, maybe i should just do some new 12guage all the way around since i bought new avr, new oppo, new plasma

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/17015384

Agreed! Will your outlet plate accept 12 gauge? Many top at 14 gauge, and as asked, why then a larger gauge for the completion of the circuit?

my wall plates have the hole you put the bare wire in and then you screw down the thumb screws or whatever they're called. basicaly, the wall plates on monoprice.com. Am i doing something wrong? i figured you shove the wire in and tigthen down the thumb screw, right?

also, as i mentioned in the previous post, all wires i have are left over from an install 10 years ago. i have 10 guage from avr to wall plate to speaker currently (no 12 guage in that line of connectivity). but i'm redoing the ones from the avr to the wall plate with some left over 12 guage because i'm out of 10 guage but have enough 12 guage to make do in my new setup (i need more cable length).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/17017645

You oughta see what the square root of -1 does.

Those math geeks. They just invented "imaginary numbers" to deal with that. PFFFFT!

I wish that trick worked in other fields.

"Where's your market report Johnson!"

"Oh, uh.. I have it right here, it's just... imaginary!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.