AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that many of the HTIBs on the market right now have no digital inputs (particulary Sony and Panasonic models with DVD player included). Does this preclude you from hooking up any other components with surround sound?

For instance, if I buy a Panasonic SC-HT440W and decide later that I want an HD-DVD player, will I be able to hook up the new HD-DVD player to the Panasonic receiver to get surround sound?

Thanks for any help

Barry

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not necessarily, as you could use 6ch/8ch aalog inputs, but most HTiB receivers don't have those, especially if they are the type to leave off the optical in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, to be more specific. Could I hook up an external DVD player for surround sound to the Panasonic HT-SC440? According to Cnet, these are the connections for the receiver:

1 x Component video output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 1 x S-Video output (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear, 1 x Composite video output (RCA phono) - Rear, 1 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear, 1 x AM antenna - Rear, 1 x FM antenna - Rear, 1 x Headphones (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Front, 1 x Audio line-in (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Front

Thanks for any help you can provide

Barry

·
Registered
275 Posts
You need a digital connection to get true dolby. The receiver has pro logic which is a simulated surround, but not a very good one. Pro logic II is ok but it doesn't look like that receiver has it. Check out the Onkyo 590. It comes with a passive sub but has a real receiver and some guys were getting them at shoponkyo for like $149 shipped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerkin

Thanks for the reply. I really like the 590S, but I'm a little concerned about the problem with a hissing sound from the front speakers. Also, would I be able to hook up my iPod to the 590S?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Haven't heard much of the hissing lately, probably have it fixed. You can hook an ipod up to about any of them. All you need is the rca jacks and a cable that goes from mini jack to the red&white rca plugs. I just got one at walmart for $5 and hooked mine up today. BIG difference in the tunes I had in mp3 and the ones I did in lossless. I'll be doing everything in lossless from now on, bad thing is you only get half as many songs.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If a surround sound system has Pro Logic II, it can take any stereo source and convert it to a limited surround sound. It won't be 5.1, more like 4.1, if that, but it might work out.

If you have HD-DVD, you'd probably want the digital inputs for full 5.1. I can't see anyone settling for just Pro Logic II with HD discs. You may even want to upgrade it to 7.1, since HD-DVDs have that capability. 7.1 systems cost more, but it is something to consider if you're looking at Hi-Def anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.