AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just change out my media console with some that has doors. I think it got so hot that it fried something on my AVR. I'm no longer getting vide output but that's another story.

I have about 2-3inch opening under the cabinet, the front is semi open and the back is is open. it's definitely going to get fresh air especially it sits on top of tiles. Problem is, when blowing upward the air is going to be blowing right at the bottom of the AVR and with just 1/2" or so from the foot of the AVR the air may end up getting pushed back down. Should the fan be blowing in or out? Or do both?

·
Registered
490 Posts
A picture or drawing would be helpful - does your console have shelves? The key to efficient cooling is to make sure you're getting airflow across the right part of the components you're trying to cool - it's easy to see when there are external heatsinks, but a little more challenging when this is done inside of the case - a lot of the proposed cabinet designs I've seen on the forum don't guide cool air to where it can do its job. Unless it is 'stirred up' it's easy to get pockets of hot air that just serve to cook the components.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the cabinet, notice how the bottom is elevated with an opening? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZHTWO6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are 2 shelves. My AVR sits on the lower right, my HTPC sits on the upper left, these are the two hottest component but the AVR is extremely hot. The cabinet is divided in the middle, the rear has an opening that's about 12x2.5" on each side. I can also fit the fans in the back which would be the easiest for me, but if the fans are right next to the two opening I don't think it's the most efficient way, I think it needs to be as far away from the opening as possible to circulate fresh air through the cabinet hence I want to put it on the bottom.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to put devices with the greatest heat output at the top of a cabinet - that way you don't cook anything above the unit.

I'm still not 100% getting the layout of the console - when you say "The cabinet is divided in the middle, the rear has an opening that's about 12x2.5" on each side..." I know you say "an opening", but are there two of these openings at the top of the back face of the cabinet? Is there unrestricted airflow from the bottom half, over the middle shelf and out of the opening, or does the shelf impede airflow?

If it were me, I'd consider placing a series of holes (3"??) in the lowest shelf/floor of the unit, under and behind the components so that they aren't visible - I'd make sure that there was ample passage for air to be pulled from the bottom half to the top (may need to drill additional holes in the dividing shelf) across the components - and I'd mount a large, relatively slow moving PC fan behind each of the 12x2.5" openings to pull air through the console and over the appropriate parts of the components to be cooled. I'd consider either opening up the rectangular openings to accommodate the full diameter of each (4"??) fan - and either blank off the 'holes' adjacent to the fans to make sure you're actually pulling air through the cabinet versus just recirculating the air behind the console, or make two 12x2.5" manifolds to completely cover the apertures and house the fans.

There are several methods to control the fans - including thermostatic and voltage-sensing activation - so that they don't run continually.

Anyway, some more food for thought!

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts