AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting around to setting up a 5.1 system. Out of curiosity, is there a way to isolate the sound of the fronts, surrounds, center while playing a movie? This is part curiosity, part testing. For example, I may be interested in hearing the surrounds so I can judge whether placement is good.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19621119

I am finally getting around to setting up a 5.1 system. Out of curiosity, is there a way to isolate the sound of the fronts, surrounds, center while playing a movie? This is part curiosity, part testing. For example, I may be interested in hearing the surrounds so I can judge whether placement is good.

I do not see what you can accomplish this way. You can, of course, get most AVRs to play a test tone on any speaker for test/measurement. You can also, of course, reprogram almost any AVR to utilize most combinations of speakers as long as they include the front L/R. Also, if your AVR or processor has a discrete 5.1/7.1 analog input, you can insert a signal into any combination of channels of your choosing.

So, what are you looking to find out?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19623087

I do not see what you can accomplish this way. You can, of course, get most AVRs to play a test tone on any speaker for test/measurement. You can also, of course, reprogram almost any AVR to utilize most combinations of speakers as long as they include the front L/R. Also, if your AVR or processor has a discrete 5.1/7.1 analog input, you can insert a signal into any combination of channels of your choosing.

So, what are you looking to find out?

First, thanks for taking the time. As I mentioned, it is partly driven by curiosity that was peaked when I was in the audio room auditioning speakers. As you no doubt are aware, most receiver have a host of surround options. As I switched around the different options, I noticed changes in the sound but it wasn't until I turned speakers off that I could tell what the changes were. In one instance, I noticed the rear speaker sound oscillating up and down. In other instance, the vocals seemed to be concentrated in different areas.

I realize that the important part in listening to an HT system is how they interact with each other. But I was more curious as to what the various sound options were doing?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
You could also just disconnect speakers from channels you don't want to hear to isolate what you do. If you were curious what was going on with surrounds for instance, you could just physically disconnect the speaker cable for L/C/R at the receiver and then you'd only be hearing the surrounds and could play around with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts