AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 30" behind my screen wall to work with, and I want a bass trap in each corner. They will be hidden behind the screen wall so obviously I don't care what they look like.

To keep costs down, I was thinking about just buying some rolls of insulation (maybe R-30?) and stacking them floor to ceiling in each corner. I have googled and found some people doing this. They recommend actually leaving it in the plastic so as to stay compressed.

Can anyone comment on this? I'm not looking for the most elaborate or best bass traps obviously, just something to make a noticeable difference without spending very much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wow, I never thought of that. I'd like to know myself, I have about 32" behind my screen area.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
koach....I don't know the answer to your question on rolls of insulation vs. super chunk approach using OC 703 or similar, but do have an opinion on cost comparison.

For sake of argument/simplicity, say you have 80" floor to ceiling. Buying R-19 rolls which are 14.5" wide, you'd need to stack 5.5 of them to reach the ceiling. The cheapest I've found those are around $17 at HD, so you'd have roughly $85 per corner or $170 total for both.

Compare that to using OC703...you have a General Insulation location in Dayton which will charge you approx $6 per 2'x4' sheet of 2" thick 703. Getting 4 triangles per sheet gives you 8" height when stacked, which means you need around 10 sheets to make 80". So, one corner would cost around $60, or $120 total for both.

Unless you have a super deal on the insulation, I don't see an advantage using it from a cost perspective.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Nice breakdown, fotto.

I was considering the rolls as well, but I like your pricing on the OC703 better!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fotto, I didn't realize the OC703 was that cheap, I will have to look into it.

Actually I would require less, because my walls are 92" high, but I have a 13" soffit and a 12" high stage, so I really only need to get 67" per side.

I had found some rolls of R-19 at Home Depot that are about 60" high, and I was just going to stick one in each corner and call it a day. They are $35 each so a total of $70.

But with the prices you list for OC703, I would only need 8 sheets per side, so 16 total at $6 a piece would be $96. Probably worth the extra $26 for the OC703. I guess I just need to call around and see if I can get some locally.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
koach, in case you missed it in my first post try here:
http://www.generalinsulation.com/Company/Locations.aspx

If you have any problem getting it from them let me know. The manager in Cle was most helpful and offered assistance with the other branches if need be, but you shouldn't have any issues as far as I know. They charge by the sq.ft. and should come in well under $.80 per without any negotiation.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18267305

koach, in case you missed it in my first post try here:
http://www.generalinsulation.com/Company/Locations.aspx

If you have any problem getting it from them let me know. The manager in Cle was most helpful and offered assistance with the other branches if need be, but you shouldn't have any issues as far as I know. They charge by the sq.ft. and should come in well under $.80 per without any negotiation.

Thanks for the link fotto. I read "General Insulation" in your first post as a description of a type of business, not an actual name of a store, so I'm glad you posted this. I just emailed their Dayton office to inquire about stock and prices. Hopefully the price is the same. Thanks again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
R30 rolls at HD are only $9.99 (15" high each if you stack them). That would be $80 per side for 96" of "trap".

Best,

C.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdic /forum/post/18270828

R30 rolls at HD are only $9.99 (15" high each if you stack them). That would be $80 per side for 96" of "trap".

Best,

C.

If you look at one of my follow-on replies you will see I had a much cheaper solution involving insulation.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fotto,

I heard back from General Insulation, and they actually charge $1.24 per square foot, which brings my total to $158.72. So now I'm looking at paying $70 for insulation that I can just throw in the corner, versus $160 for OC703 plus the time involved in cutting it up, plus something to hold it up in place. So the cost is a bit more than I had hoped for, but not too bad overall.

i wish I could find out if insulation was any good for this, which would make the decision easier for me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think 703 is compressed at 3lb density, so if you use R30 instead, would you need to compress them? Which will bring the cost up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually looking at my room measurements, I would actually have to cut my OC703 into 8 triangles, because at 4 cuts the width would be too wide. So assuming it is even worth it to do it with the width only being 2', then I could get away with only 8 pieces which would be about $80, which is much more doable.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koach /forum/post/18271996

fotto,

I heard back from General Insulation, and they actually charge $1.24 per square foot, which brings my total to $158.72. So now I'm looking at paying $70 for insulation that I can just throw in the corner, versus $160 for OC703 plus the time involved in cutting it up, plus something to hold it up in place. So the cost is a bit more than I had hoped for, but not too bad overall.

i wish I could find out if insulation was any good for this, which would make the decision easier for me.

Hey koach, I called my branch here in Cle just now. The manager I dealt with was out but I spoke to one of their cust sales people. She said it looks like you got standard list pricing (or about as bad as it can get) and what I got was more along the lines of what a mid level biz account would get. They have several levels of pricing at "their discretion" to use, and they most likely just did me a favor (just cause I'm a nice guy
). Probably due to that I walked in and had a face to face with the manager. Seeing that you just emailed in an inquiry, I would suspect that list would be their normal reply for a small qty. If you want to go the 703 route, I'd just visit the place and reference what kind of pricing I got at the Cle branch. Sounds like there's a LOT of room for negotiation there, but I suspect you won't get those results via an email.

Good luck whichever way you decide to proceed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18272656

Hey koach, I called my branch here in Cle just now. The manager I dealt with was out but I spoke to one of their cust sales people. She said it looks like you got standard list pricing (or about as bad as it can get) and what I got was more along the lines of what a mid level biz account would get. They have several levels of pricing at "their discretion" to use, and they most likely just did me a favor (just cause I'm a nice guy
). Probably due to that I walked in and had a face to face with the manager. Seeing that you just emailed in an inquiry, I would suspect that list would be their normal reply for a small qty. If you want to go the 703 route, I'd just visit the place and reference what kind of pricing I got at the Cle branch. Sounds like there's a LOT of room for negotiation there, but I suspect you won't get those results via an email.

Good luck whichever way you decide to proceed.

Thanks for the tip. Worst case scenario is it will cost me about $80, but when I go to get it I will mention your price and see what they say. Thanks again for your help.

On a related note, is it OK to just put this stuff exposed in a corner behind a screen wall? The screen is AT and is surrounded by GOM, so it's far from a solid wall. I know you don't want regular insulation exposed to the air, but not sure about this stuff. I have linacoustic behind my screen now and was told that it can be exposed as is and doesn't need covered. Should I put fabric around the OC703 bass traps or just leave it as is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'd definitely cover it. That stuff had me itching tons more than standard fluffy. The plain stuff I bought had one side "coated" similar to ductliner, but that won't help with corner traps since the cut edge is exposed for the total height of the trap.

I just bought some speaker fabric at Joannes with a 40 or 50% off coupon and used that to cover it instead of more expensive (and perhaps less AT) fabric.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would cover it too. My order from Dazian just came in today so thats what im doing tonight. You could use speaker fabric but I would be worried about flammability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Koach,

I am also in the Dayton area, and looking to buy OC703 for some chunk type traps.

ATEC Distribution ((937) 236-7608‎) has 3.0 pcf Knauf Rigid fiberboard (the equivalent to 2" OC703) for $7.68 a sheet.

This might be a better value.

Did you find a place to sell you Linacoustics in quantizes smaller than a roll? I only need 128 square feet and do not want the whole roll.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts