AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am having a bit of a conundrum. I am in the process of buying a house that has a family room that is too small for what I really want to do for a home theater. I have only one option if I ever want to have a front projector or 75"+ TV with a decent speaker setup. And thats do away with the "formal dining room" and put it on the large wall there. There is the kicker. That wall is what you see when you first come into the house. I have attached a picture below showing the view as you just come in the main door. My question is, can I do something here without it looking out of place. Is it tacky to walk into a house right into the theater? My wife thinks it is and there would be no way to make it look decent. I was thinking about making a sitting area and having a retractable screen with a nice painting behind it. What do you guys think? Doable? Or should I just be happy with a 65" with a 2.1 system in the family room?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you need to leave that as a dining room. I'm all for theaters, but I agree with your wife.

If you really want to, and least construct a couple of walls and make it a separate room.

My advice? But a different house =)

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Reactions: M.T.Nest

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,143 Posts
Disagree, you have an eat in kitchen adjacent to family room and 99.9 % of eating will take place in those two rooms. dedicating that current dinng room space to those rare occasions is a waste of space if you want to enjoy a theater weekly. Just make that space a large living room. What is throwing you off your game is the current dining room table and chandelier Take those away and it is a large living room. There is nothing wrong with walking into a living room. You will need to work on disguising the screen, projector and speakers.

A few years back someone posted pictures of a "normal" living room. He built a sliding panel piece of art that covered a fixed frame screen. For his projector he kept it in a credenza behind his seating and pulled it out and set it on the credenza for show time. I don't recall the thread, it was also a magazine feature. He also had remote control black out shades installed on the windows.

update: I found that thread, but all the pictures are gone and the link to article goes nowhere.

I did find this little write up, but the pictures don't show what he did to hide the screen with an art-piece.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-panasonic-pt-ae700u-bew.htm

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've always been impressed with Adidas4275's room that manages to keep the living room feel but still function as a theater (even though it is a retractable screen).

Do you want to keep the living room look and feel or do you want the theater like experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275  /t/1170306/adidas4275s-living-room-home-theater-4-day-build#post_16985618

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely need to minimize it when not in use. But when movie time comes all bets are off. The wife just wants it to look nice on a normal day when people come in the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts