AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing a SD tube TV in the kitchen with a new

flat screen, HDTV, probably around 22" 16X9 format.

The present TV is the second TV served by a two TV, non HDTV, Dish 322G box.

I could just hook up the present cable and get SD on a new HDTV.

What I want to do is use a simple combiner like this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=UVSJ

with a OTA HD antenna so I could at least have HD locals.

(Upgrading the box is not an option, I already have two VIP 211 HD boxes)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If I understand you correctly - you want to combine OTA with the TV2 RF coax output from the 322 ?

Certainly - but you don't need that particular combiner. Something like a splitter but used in reverse will work fine. Just set the output on the 322 to OTA and a channel higher than 52 (i.e. channel 53 and above - you may want to leave some space around 55).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scooper said: "If I understand you correctly - you want to combine OTA with the TV2 RF coax output from the 322 ?"

That is preciously what I want to do.

Won't setting the 322 to OTA impact the TV1 output?

I was hoping to just toggle on the TV itself between OTA and Cable.

IE: OTA for HD locals and cable setting for all Dish channels.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taketheover /forum/post/17049202

Scooper said: "If I understand you correctly - you want to combine OTA with the TV2 RF coax output from the 322 ?"

That is preciously what I want to do.

Won't setting the 322 to OTA impact the TV1 output?

I was hoping to just toggle on the TV itself between OTA and Cable.

IE: OTA for HD locals and cable setting for all Dish channels.

Thanks for the help.

What you have to look at is the "FREQUENCY" that you're using, as well as the ones that are in use by your local broadcasters. Therefore - my suggestion to select OTA actually makes it EASIER for you to avoid interference. Also - since June 12 (the end of analog TV) - the frequency range of full power stations is now restricted to channel 2 to channel 51 - hence the suggestion that you use channels 53-69 to avoid interference (you may have other channels available depending on what channels are in use in your local area). Get a good handle on the actual RF channels your stations are using with either www.antennaweb.org or (better IMO) www.tvfool.com .

In case you have any doubt about my advice - I can go to ANY TV tuner in my house and select channels 55 or 24 and I would be watching DBS, while I also have OTA channels available on them as well. I've been doing this literally for years (since Oct 2000, to be precise) with great success.

It's also quite possible that channel 3 or 4 may also be available in your area, in which case that UVSJ may work fine as well.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taketheover /forum/post/17063690

I am somewhat hesitant to ask Scooper, but what

is FUD.

Fear, Uncertainity, and Doubt .

·
Registered
501 Posts
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) is a tactic of rhetoric and fallacy used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics and propaganda. FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative information designed to undermine the credibility of their beliefs. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor's product; to increase the general estimation of switching costs among current customers; or to maintain leverage over a current business partner who could potentially become a rival.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Had a chance to try my suggestions out yet ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts