AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is partially a WAF question, but I would like to do this too -

I have my 52" Sony LCD on a stand. I don't have much room in front of the TV, maybe 4 inches or so. I would like to mount a surroundbar on the wall behind the TV. I'd get a Polk, as I do have some leftover wired rear surrounds and an A/V receiver, and could run the Polk as L-C-R, or use it as intended and take down the ugly old flat-tape speaker wire and Bose surrounds.

- Or I could get that Boston Acoustics P400B and do the same. I also considered the Sony CT-100, but I do have a receiver sitting there now.

One annoyance, My TV is silver. At least the polk could match a little. Mounting it behind the TV, I'd go with black, since all the newer TV's are "back in black" (cue AC/DC...) I just bought the TV 2 years ago, and I already want one of the 120Hz motionflow models someday, so black hidden can one day be wall mounted and matching, I hope.

Anyway, back to my original question - can I mount a surroundbar on the wall behind the TV, to make it not visible from dead on? I know it's not ideal, but after ditching my crummy Bose Acoustimass stuff, we've been using the TV's speakers for a couple of years now. So while not an audiophile by any stretch, I'd still like to hook up a sub and get some decent sound for movies and football.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiredogs /forum/post/15468872

I'd still like to hook up a sub and get some decent sound for movies and football.

This will require positioning the sound bar in FRONT of the tv, not BEHIND

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figured. I may have to go with the Sony CT-100, as it has the lowest height and depth, so I can get it in front of the TV. One guy on the Polk forum suggested raising the TV a little with some wood, then putting the Polk bar in front of the TV. I may look into that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in almost the exact position. And I've thought a lot about this problem.

The Polk Surroundbar 50 comes with two sets of cradles -- low and high. I checked with the folks at Polk. The high ones raise the bar so that the distance between the bottom of the Surroundbar 50 and the surface where the cradle would rest is a bit more than 1." My TV (Sony 52" XBR4) has a base that protrudes about 5" from the front of the screen for a length of about 23" centered around the center of the screen. I have less than 4" between the front of the TV base and the front of the stand holding the TV.

The Surroundbar 50 itself is about 51" long. That would allow me to place one high cradle on stand on each side of the TV base and have the Surroundbar pass above the base without touching it, and all would work.

Now all I need is the $700+ to buy the Surroundbar 50!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey wuberry - I have the 52" XBR2. Will the low cradle have the Polk blocking out the bottom on the TV? Like in fron of the "sony" logo and faux speaker? Because I think that the IR for the remote in along that part on the TV, bottom right corner. If not, I may look into the low cradle having the bar clear the protruding part of the stand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think so. Please keep in mind that I don't actually have a Surroundbar 50.

The specs say it's 4.5" high, plus a little more than an inch for the high cradles, would bring it to about 5.5" high. The bottom of the display screen on my TV is 6" off the TV stand, but the IR sensor is well below that.

That doesn't make any difference to me, since I'm using a Hot-Link IR repeater, which comes with six emitters and I'm only using four of them now.

I don't know how tall the low cradles are, but the base of my TV gets to be about 5/8" high in the area where the Surroundbar would pass over it. I doubt the low cradles would do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts