AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am planning a home theatre setup in my cellar. The height isn't too bad (a little under 2.1m) and I am planning on mounting a projector (looking at the Benq W1070 at the moment).

The screen will be a 77" one ( http://www.chooseav.co.uk/detail/Sapphire_1.8m_16%3A9_Electric_In_Ceiling_Screen-302237#.UzqXHHknJzM ) as I want to fit it in a bay window. The width from the back wall to the screen is about 3.7m, and looking at the specs for the Benq the most I can go back is 2.1m which puts it right in the middle of the room.

Ideally I would like it further back so it is over the seating, as it is less likely for anyone to band their head on it! Is there a way to do this, or an alternative projector which will allow me to zoom out more. I'm looking for 3D capability, HD, and ideally a 12v out to trigger the screen.

Any help much appreciated.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,449 Posts
if you go too far back you will never get the image small enough to fit on the screen, look up the throw distance range for that projector,

Now if it were me, if all you can fit is a 77 inch screen , it hardly seems worth the effort to install a projector, get a good large flat panel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thought that might be the case with the distance from the screen - guess it just comes down to standard optics / physics!

Considered a flat screen TV - the reason for the projector is that I will have other stuff in the "bay" behind the screen. (I DJ, so want my decks etc set up there.) Theory is the screen will come down in front of the decks when the projector is turned on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That could be a good plan. In your experience can you go "too big"? With "the audience" sat only 3m back, how far can you get away with before it looks over the top?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts