AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the FAQ, but i think i need more clarification.

I have this mini "component system" (A): the impedance on the speakers r 6 ohms and 50W input power. The amp says 6 ohms and 88W power consumption.

my other system (B): 8-16(?) ohms impedance and the speaker (only 1 speaker) is rated 8 ohms and 120 Ws input

My question is can i use system B's amp on system A and vice versa? This is because i'm picking up interference with system A's amp on the left speaker output.

On system A, i do not listen to them very loud (6/29 on the volume).

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem  /t/1522023/can-i-my-mismatch-amp-and-passive-speaker#post_24467507

I have this mini "component system" (A): the impedance on the speakers r 6 ohms and 50W input power. The amp says 6 ohms and 88W power consumption.

my other system (B): 8-16(?) ohms impedance and the speaker (only 1 speaker) is rated 8 ohms and 120 Ws input

My question is can i use system B's amp on system A and vice versa? This is because i'm picking up interference with system A's amp on the left speaker output.

You should be able to swap speakers without problems.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem  /t/1522023/can-i-my-mismatch-amp-and-passive-speaker#post_24467507

The 88 watts is the MAXIMUM AC power that the unit will draw from the wall socket.

Since amps are usually less than 50% efficient, that probably means it can put out about 20-30 watts per channel.

The 50 watts is the maximum power that can be applied to the speaker without damage.

The amplifier is not going to put out enough power to damage any speaker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522023/can-i-my-mismatch-amp-and-passive-speaker#post_24468424

The 88 watts is the MAXIMUM AC power that the unit will draw from the wall socket.

Since amps are usually less than 50% efficient, that probably means it can put out about 20-30 watts per channel.

The 50 watts is the maximum power that can be applied to the speaker without damage.

The amplifier is not going to put out enough power to damage any speaker.

on the back of the amp it says power consumption so i just wrote what it said. Nevertheless, thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522023/can-i-my-mismatch-amp-and-passive-speaker#post_24468116

You should be able to swap speakers without problems.

What are the chances i will damage the speakers for system B if i use system's A amp? the FAQ says if the amp is clipping too much/for too long, it will damage the speakers due to too much power consumtion. However, since the impedance difference between speaker and amp is 2 ohms, it has a very low chance of breaking right?

Also, for some reason, my left speaker output on the amp doesn't always work when i connect the left and right speaker. If they are connected separately, they work fine. Seems like the only way i can get both speakers to work at the same time is if i turn up volume so it gets more power, and then turn it down to my listening level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts