AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to a new house and I want to still use my PC-plus 31-25. In the living room I'm wondering if its possible to place it right behind the Plasma to "hide" it.

The TV is a 60" LG and it located about 40cm from the ground on a tv-table. If I place the sub directly behind the tv the wall of the sub will be about 20-25 cm from the back of the LG.

Is it possible that the bass waves can damage or even break plasma?

·
Registered
8,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinsvoll /forum/post/19547600

I just moved to a new house and I want to still use my PC-plus 31-25. In the living room I'm wondering if its possible to place it right behind the Plasma to "hide" it.

The TV is a 60" LG and it located about 40cm from the ground on a tv-table. If I place the sub directly behind the tv the wall of the sub will be about 20-25 cm from the back of the LG.

Is it possible that the bass waves can damage or even break plasma?

I would say that the bass is not going to damage the TV. I think the real question is whether plasma and LCD TVs are affected by the magnetic field of the subwoofer. AFAIK, the SVS subs are not magnetically shielded.

My best guess is that neither plasma or lcd tvs are affected by moderate magnetic fields.

Someone with more certain knowledge should come along with a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
CRTs were the TVs that the magnets in speakers and subs caused to go screwy. Plasmas and LCDs are immune to loudspeaker magnets. The only way a sub can physically damage one of those TVs is if it were thrown or dropped on one. Which might be a possibility if you lived in a frat house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19549203

CRTs were the TVs that the magnets in speakers and subs caused to go screwy. Plasmas and LCDs are immune to loudspeaker magnets. The only way a sub can physically damage one of those TVs is if it were thrown or dropped on one. Which might be a possibility if you lived in a frat house.

Sounds good. Do you have any logic behind that?
I hope I don't prove you wrong

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Tulpa is likely correct. CRTs electronically steer the electron beams that produce their pictures, and this steering is affected by the magnets in unshielded speakers and subs. There is no beam steering to do in plasmas and LCDs. But it's remotely possible that a powerful magnetic field such as that from a sub VERY close to the display could cause interference in one or more circuit boards. The distances the OP mentioned should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 65" Panasonic Plasma TV. Behind each side is a PC-13 SVS Sub. After discussions about placement with SVS, with the same concerns that you have in regards to damage to the TV - they assured me that I would be fine. After over a year, no problems whatsoever. If I have zero issues with (2) PC-13's behind the plasma, you will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts