AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first electric guitar this week, and I'm testing the water with an entry level guitar/amp package. I'd like to use the amp for various effects (sort of as a preamp), but it only has a 1/4" phone recording out jack.

I was basically wondering if I could just pick up a 1/4" - RCA adapter, then use a Y splitter to hook the amp up to one of the stereo inputs on my receiver. I'd much rather use my main speakers+sub than the cheap 8" speaker in the guitar amp.

I know this is a weird question, but I figured I'd ask anyways in case anyone had experience with this.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
It would not be a real good idea to use you HT setup in place of a real guitar amp. Your speakers will hate it, and it may even damage them if you get too carried away with how or what you are playing on the guitar.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You will surely blow your speakers unless they happen to be large professional grade horns like those used in P/As. That cheap 8" speaker in the guitar amp is geared towards the guitar and will sound much better than your stereo anyhow.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
So if you record a guitar on a CD, and then play it through you theater its OK, but if you bypass the recording step, it's not? :confused:

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox
So if you record a guitar on a CD, and then play it through you theater its OK, but if you bypass the recording step, it's not? :confused:
When I was a teenager, a buddy across the street played bass guitar in a band.

I had a decent stereo setup with some very large speakers at that time. We decided

to try plugging his bass into an input on my receiver. Luckily we did no damage,

but I realized immediately that this was not a good thing to do. The guitar pickups

apparently output a much higher level signal than what typical receiver inputs are

designed to handle.

YMMV

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've done it with absolutely no problems, but on an older Pioneer SX-727 receiver with a microphone input. Worked fine for practice or goofing around. When I cranked the amp up all the way and played the guitar (although you can't call what I was doing "playing"), it would simply trip the overload relay in the receiver and momentarily shut off the speakers. Didn't hurt the speakers.

If you have an impedance mismatch, you will lose signal and pick up noise.

You need a mic input or you will have probably have an impedance mismatch. I don't know if you can get an adpter box or guitar preamp to match a guitar output impedance (1k-ohm to 2k-ohm?) to an Aux. input impedance (30Kohms?). But if you have to spend money on a preamp, you might as well just buy a cheap guitar amp.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Don't do it. I blew my first set of speakers playing a single guitar riff and it definitely was not cranked up.

As WS65711 says, guitar voltage levels are far more unpredictable than a normal source (CD, DVD, tuner, etc.) so you can hurt your system even when the volume seems to be turned down. In fact, high voltages will blow your input stage even if the volume on your receiver or pre/pro is turned down to zero.

Bill

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll play it safe and I won't plug the guitar amp into my home theater setup.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
While it can be done without damage if you watch the volumes levels, but it most always, IMHO, has sounded like crap for me.

If you are trying to do something on the cheap, I would suggest a Rockman or similar product. It has legit line level outputs, and can be had in a couple flavors, depending on your intended style of playing. They are normally in the $75 to $100 range.

The basic Rockman (not sure what they call it any more) does a decent imitation of the guitar tone on the 1st Boston album (which it should since Tom Scholz designed it). ZZ Top used one throughout their 80's catalog as well (which I am NOT fond of, but thats a story for another day).

Or perhaps a Pignose would also fill the bill.

BGL

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Don't plug the guitar directly into the stereo. We used to do that in the old days. You'll be disappointed and probably break something.

What you should get is a thing called a "Pod". This is a product made by Line6. It looks like a kidney bean with a bunch of knobs on it. You plug the guitar into it, then the output goes into your system like any other line level (-10db) source. You just need the right adaptors, any Radio Shack type place will have.

The Pod purports to "model" all those cool old amps. It doesn't really sound like them, but it ain't a bad way to jam and practice.

Look on eBay for a bargain on a Pod 2.0 or get a new PodXT.

I've been playing for many years, I highly recommend a good working old Fender Champ for your first amp. Once you see all the knobs on the Pod, you won't heed my advice, nobody does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.