AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speaker set-up has 3 rear channels (R, L, Center) or 6.1 set-up

I currently have my A1 hooked up with both analog cables and optical/toslink. When selecting a TruHD track, if I select multi-channel, I of course get the 5.1 sound and the center rear is disregarded. If I select optical option, I can force a DD-EX or DTS-ES output and the rear center engages.

Question 1: Am I losing the benefit of the TruHD track by using optical over analog?

Question 2: Using analog, is there anyway to engage the rear center speaker without losing the benefits of the TruHD track?

I would appreciate any expert help on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Quote:
Question 1: Am I losing the benefit of the TruHD track by using optical over analog?

Yes, you're getting a downsampled version, not lossless. Then again, if you had to ask, maybe there's not such an apparent difference in your system?

Quote:
Question 2: Using analog, is there anyway to engage the rear center speaker without losing the benefits of the TruHD track?

I think that would depend on your receiver.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have the same setup and am dealing with the same issue. When I switch to my analog inputs I lose that rear channel, but everything else sounds great. Actually too good, its raising hell with my sub. I need a new sub apparently.

When I switch to optical my receiver matrixes sound into that rear center, and its a nice little bonus. The sound still sounds pretty good. So its a toss up which one to pick. I tend to lean towards the optical because I like that rear surround. If I had a big fat sub I may pick analog more, as the analog TrueHD is making my sub bottom out on occasion.

The real solution here is to get a receiver that has HDMI support and let the receiver matrix the TrueHD into that rear center. That way you get the best of both worlds. However as for me I'm waiting until the receivers have HDMI 1.3 so I don't have to buy another one in another year. This year they should have some reasonably priced models out.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have the same problem.

There are a few things you can do. Remember, these suggestions will not preserve a discrete center rear.... but there is almost no media right now that supports over 5.1 anyway.

1. If your receiver has 6.1 or 7.1 analog inputs, you can use an RCA split cord to input left and right surround into your center rear right and left.

2. You can also wire your center channel in series with the . (Note, this will lower the impedence of your speakers)

3. Buy an HDMI receiver. Beware though... many receivers do not support above 5.1 through HDMI. make sure you check into that first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks jayrader and wirelessguru.... looks like I will have to just make a choice between analog w/o rear center and optical w/ rear center until a HDMI 1.3 receiver comes along.

Nice to know others out there are facing the same issues when deciding between having the rear center active or not.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_G /forum/post/0

I can definitely tell the difference... I was just asking if there was anyway to get the rear center involved with the TruHD

Ahh, ok. When you asked if you were losing the benefit of TrueHD over optical, I figured you didn't hear a difference, since better sound is the benefit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.