AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Triad dealers install our InWall and InRoom subs in cabinets all the time, and most subwoofers will work fine in a cabinet. There are a few problems with this type of installation, though...

You'll have to deal with rattles and vibrations of the cabinet and it's contents.

The sub has to be front-firing with no back port.

Some companies offer the option (Triad is one) of ordering a sub with the amp outboard; not built into the sub. This makes adjustments easier to make.

Companies may offer a grill-delete option so you don't have to pay for something you don't use.

Again, most brands of subs will work, even through a door with grill cloth on it. I'm using one in a cabinet in my exercise room, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Paul:

I red with much interest your reply to olysan.

I am in the same boat as olysan since I have to place my sub inside a custom made cabinet. This is an Encore 8 subwoofer which I am pretty sure is a front firing sub so no problem with that.

The problem I am facing concerns the type of material I will have to use to cover the sub. All the cabinet's doors are made of perforated stainless steel and I have some concerns as weather they will be as effective as a grill cloth in allowing the sub to perform well.

Your opinion on this matter will be appreciated.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Depends on the construction quality of your cabinet and the isolation of your sub. You might check this question in the do it yourself and home theater parts of AVS since I suspect this issue comes up there frequently. There was also an article about this in one of the monthly hi fi mags about a year ago but I cannot remember which one. However I do recall that the article recommended that the sub be on the floor in the cabinet (remove the shelf underneath it) to minimize the transmission of vibration. YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.