AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't have speakers yet.


i would like to just set my speakers on my stand. i really don't want to drill into the wall.


i thought about getting the svs speaker package but i'm not sure if the center could sit just below the tv. i wonder if i could set the tv on something to get it up a little hight.


i also thought about getting some tower speakers that way i could spread them out a little and it would look better than if i bouht the svs and mounted them on the stands.


well..here is my picture. tell me what you guys think?????????


maybe if someone else has a set-up like mine they could post some pics????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
If you want to put bookshelf speakers on either side of the TV that would be fine. Or towers out to the sides would be fine. Sitting your TV on something (or mounting it on the wall) to raise it up so you can see if over a center speaker would be fine. It's not the best idea to sit the TV on the center speaker itself. Do you plan on adding any surrounds? Where would you be putting them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,281 Posts
if you set them up like that you will likely have them too close together and the imaging will be somewhat collapsed, not to mention that you will get cabinet resonance that will color the sound. i would either stand mount bookshelves or put towers on either side if it were me.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,738 Posts
Some small towers will allow for better separation in the front. Looks to be enough room for them. You could also put some bookshelf speakers on stands on either side. The worst choice would be to set speakers directly on that stand. You could mount a center channel under the tv or on the wall above it. Keep in mind that speakers that come in solid contact may produce unwanted harmonics.


As for the surrounds, looks like you have the wiring there, you just need to find some wall hangers that you think will sound good in there. Some room treatment might be in order with all that bare sheet rock area unless sound quality isn't the utmost importance.


As for speaker recommendations, throw out a budget and we'll go from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/15589454


Some small towers will allow for better separation in the front. Looks to be enough room for them. You could also put some bookshelf speakers on stands on either side. The worst choice would be to set speakers directly on that stand. You could mount a center channel under the tv or on the wall above it. Keep in mind that speakers that come in solid contact may produce unwanted harmonics.


As for the surrounds, looks like you have the wiring there, you just need to find some wall hangers that you think will sound good in there. Some room treatment might be in order with all that bare sheet rock area unless sound quality isn't the utmost importance.


As for speaker recommendations, throw out a budget and we'll go from there.



$1500 give or take... i need a reciever too, i need everything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster /forum/post/15588725


i don't have speakers yet.


i would like to just set my speakers on my stand. i really don't want to drill into the wall.


i thought about getting the svs speaker package but i'm not sure if the center could sit just below the tv. i wonder if i could set the tv on something to get it up a little hight.


i also thought about getting some tower speakers that way i could spread them out a little and it would look better than if i bouht the svs and mounted them on the stands.


well..here is my picture. tell me what you guys think?????????


maybe if someone else has a set-up like mine they could post some pics????????

What are you going to be doing with the sound................Playing some good music?....In two channel?....Or five?...............Playing a few games?........

Watching a pristine movie?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15590252


What are you going to be doing with the sound................Playing some good music?....In two channel?....Or five?...............Playing a few games?........

Watching a pristine movie?


tv 50%

ps3 gaming 25%

movies 25%


5.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Get a TV mount that bolts into the rear of the stand and can adjust up and down.

Move it up high enough to allow room for the center channel speaker to sit on the top of the stand, pulled to the outer edge. Stand mount the left and right spkrs to the same height as the center. Towers would work also. Where is the seating area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15590986


Get a TV mount that bolts into the rear of the stand and can adjust up and down.

Move it up high enough to allow room for the center channel speaker to sit on the top of the stand, pulled to the outer edge. Stand mount the left and right spkrs to the same height as the center. Towers would work also. Where is the seating area?

yeah that would probably work thanks


about 12' directly in front of the tv.



i'm looking for recommendations on speakers.... so fire away!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster /forum/post/15601455


i'm looking for recommendations on speakers.... so fire away!



still waiting for you pro's to recommend some speakers

*

OK, for a receiver I suggest you stay at or under $400. Here is an excellent thread on that exact topic, okfireman has done a great job of shepherding this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092513


Some say speakers are more subjective but my opinion is most can agree on what does and what does not sound good, with exceptions of course.

For a complete set of 5.0 speakers these are supposed to be very good:

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=25



Newegg has these Polk Euro model towers on sale with free shipping. Reported to be the same as Polk Monitor 70s. Monitor 30 or 40s would work nicely as surrounds, center speaker is listed on Newegg as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290112



Fry's has had the Infinity P362 towers on sale if you catch them at the right time. They are an excellent sounding speaker according to many on these forums that have bought them. You'll have to keep coming back to their website to hit the sale. It is hit and miss. The Primus P162 or P152 would make good matches for surrounds. Some have used them for centers as well.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/522368...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG


There are a lot more I can post, but this should get you started, and it bumps the thread back up so others can chime in with more ideas.


EDIT:

I looked around on the Newegg website and they have the whole Polk line it seems.


A center channel with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290111


I'd get this one, a better center speaker:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290023


And the monitor surrounds, free shipping on these also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Ideally, you want your setup to be an isosceles (equal sided) triangle with the 3 points being your listening position and your mains.


Starting with nothing kind of sucks, but can be an advantage. Splitting your usage equally between music and HT adds an extra wrinkle. If it was mostly HT, you could look into one of those packaged deals that Best Buy (BB) or any other big box store runs every few weeks. Those are generally a decent value and are a step up from a Home Theater In a Box (HTIB) type setup. If it was mostly music, you could look into a good quality used 2.0 or 2.1 system. Unfortunately, you are stuck somewhere in between.


You generally don't want to go used for HT because then you'll be missing out on the latest and greatest in surround sound processing like Bluray and HDMI. On a personal note, I also dislike buying used subwoofers. These speakers above all others are prone to damage due to their placement on the floor, within easy reach of children, pets and vacuum cleaners. Similarly, for music you want your main speakers to be significantly better than the average HTIB, but without blowing your budget for all those other things you need for HT.


Given this, my recommended strategy for approaching your first speaker buying experience is cautious optimism. I assume that $1500 is a significant chunk of your disposable income for the next little while, but as you may come to realize it really isn't all that much when it comes to making a luxury purchase. To offset this, you should expect to give up some of your time to find the best possible value. There are some definite bargains to be had out there, just like there are some definite rip-offs.


As a scientist, I am partial to a methodical approach. First, you need a control. Choose 2 or 3 CDs plus a DVD or a Bluray that you listen to all the time and are very familiar with. Take these with you everywhere you go to audition and hear the same tracks on all different speakers/setups you can find. Some will sound identical, some will not. Take notes. This may sound goofy, but audio memory is be far the weakest type of memory in humans.


Now that you have all this raw data, choose some arbitrary number and cut the list down to that size. Keep only the systems you liked and then go and re-audition those using the exact same control as during the first round. You may find your impressions and your preferences change. You may also wish to reinstate a previously cut system. Take new notes for this new round of auditions.


Repeat the auditioning, evaluating, cutting process until you're down to that 1 system that you want to buy. I use the word system on purpose. Stick to listening to packaged systems: receiver, sub, 5 speakers. These don't necessarily have to be HTIB as many stores, big and small, offer package deals. For someone new to audio, this would be preferable to auditioning parts of a system and trying to piece one together yourself. I have seen both my friends in the real world, and posters on these forums work themselves into a fit trying to do this without adequate experience. Shopping for a system rather than individual parts may not seem as glamorous, but your (future) psychiatrist will thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/15603841


*

OK, for a receiver I suggest you stay at or under $400. Here is an excellent thread on that exact topic, okfireman has done a great job of shepherding this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092513


Some say speakers are more subjective but my opinion is most can agree on what does and what does not sound good, with exceptions of course.

For a complete set of 5.0 speakers these are supposed to be very good:

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=25



Newegg has these Polk Euro model towers on sale with free shipping. Reported to be the same as Polk Monitor 70s. Monitor 30 or 40s would work nicely as surrounds, center speaker is listed on Newegg as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290112



Fry's has had the Infinity P362 towers on sale if you catch them at the right time. They are an excellent sounding speaker according to many on these forums that have bought them. You'll have to keep coming back to their website to hit the sale. It is hit and miss. The Primus P162 or P152 would make good matches for surrounds. Some have used them for centers as well.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/522368...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG


There are a lot more I can post, but this should get you started, and it bumps the thread back up so others can chime in with more ideas.


EDIT:

I looked around on the Newegg website and they have the whole Polk line it seems.


A center channel with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290111


I'd get this one, a better center speaker:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290023


And the monitor surrounds, free shipping on these also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290008

i'd still need to get a sub for these speakers.


do the polk speakers have more to offer than...say the svs package??



i do like those tower speakers!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster /forum/post/15605843


i'd still need to get a sub for these speakers.


do the polk speakers have more to offer than...say the svs package??



i do like those tower speakers!

*

Towers are always sexier than bookshelf speakers. Part of any tower purchase is furniture. I tend to think of it as built-in stands. Towers will usually give a lower bass response than an equivalent bookshelf speaker. As long as you are adding a sub there is no good reason not to consider bookshelf speakers.


I would have to say the SVS speakers are better than the Polks judging by other forum member's responses to them. I've heard many Polk speakers and find they sound pretty good. I have never heard the T90/Monitor 70s.


With SVS you are dealing with an ID (internet direct) company so there is no middle man - distributor - retailer markup (profit) on them. One can assume dollar for dollar that the ID company will deliver more bang for the buck. Same for the Emotiva speakers. I am on the verge of ordering a pair of Emo's ERD-1 surround speakers in the next day or two, just haven't quite made up my mind. I did inquire about B stock from them and was told none are available. I guess they don't get many returns on those. @ $249 shipped they sound like a great deal. I do have their UPA-7 amp and find it to be a fine amplifier. There is no discoloration, it adds nothing distracting to my music and HT listening. The extra power is quite nice.


I usually recommend Polk and Infinity as an entry level starting point. I don't recommend Klipsch, I've heard many sets of them and find them a bit too shrill for my tastes. I suspect those who are not as high pitched sensitive as I am like them for that reason. YMMV.


I'm very familiar with Infinity, I have 4 of them in my LR, from the Interlude line, possibly the last really good (debateable of course) speaker line from Infinity, IL40 fronts and IL30 surrounds with a JBL S Center, a very good center speaker. Of course I may be biased. FWIW I also own 4 JBL E50s which I use in my BR setup. They are ok, but not great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansp6 /forum/post/15605834


Ideally, you want your setup to be an isosceles (equal sided) triangle with the 3 points being your listening position and your mains.


Starting with nothing kind of sucks, but can be an advantage. Splitting your usage equally between music and HT adds an extra wrinkle. If it was mostly HT, you could look into one of those packaged deals that Best Buy (BB) or any other big box store runs every few weeks. Those are generally a decent value and are a step up from a Home Theater In a Box (HTIB) type setup. If it was mostly music, you could look into a good quality used 2.0 or 2.1 system. Unfortunately, you are stuck somewhere in between.


You generally don't want to go used for HT because then you'll be missing out on the latest and greatest in surround sound processing like Bluray and HDMI. On a personal note, I also dislike buying used subwoofers. These speakers above all others are prone to damage due to their placement on the floor, within easy reach of children, pets and vacuum cleaners. Similarly, for music you want your main speakers to be significantly better than the average HTIB, but without blowing your budget for all those other things you need for HT.


Given this, my recommended strategy for approaching your first speaker buying experience is cautious optimism. I assume that $1500 is a significant chunk of your disposable income for the next little while, but as you may come to realize it really isn't all that much when it comes to making a luxury purchase. To offset this, you should expect to give up some of your time to find the best possible value. There are some definite bargains to be had out there, just like there are some definite rip-offs.


As a scientist, I am partial to a methodical approach. First, you need a control. Choose 2 or 3 CDs plus a DVD or a Bluray that you listen to all the time and are very familiar with. Take these with you everywhere you go to audition and hear the same tracks on all different speakers/setups you can find. Some will sound identical, some will not. Take notes. This may sound goofy, but audio memory is be far the weakest type of memory in humans.


Now that you have all this raw data, choose some arbitrary number and cut the list down to that size. Keep only the systems you liked and then go and re-audition those using the exact same control as during the first round. You may find your impressions and your preferences change. You may also wish to reinstate a previously cut system. Take new notes for this new round of auditions.


Repeat the auditioning, evaluating, cutting process until you're down to that 1 system that you want to buy. I use the word system on purpose. Stick to listening to packaged systems: receiver, sub, 5 speakers. These don't necessarily have to be HTIB as many stores, big and small, offer package deals. For someone new to audio, this would be preferable to auditioning parts of a system and trying to piece one together yourself. I have seen both my friends in the real world, and posters on these forums work themselves into a fit trying to do this without adequate experience. Shopping for a system rather than individual parts may not seem as glamorous, but your (future) psychiatrist will thank you

i'm not sure i have the time or the patients for this much research.


this is good info though. i'm sure this is why people are drawn to bose. but i know better than to do something like that!


i wonder... is there a package similar to the svs system but with 2 front tower speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/15588815


if you set them up like that you will likely have them too close together and the imaging will be somewhat collapsed, not to mention that you will get cabinet resonance that will color the sound. i would either stand mount bookshelves or put towers on either side if it were me.

would isolation pads beneath the speakers reduce resonance, and if so, by how much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada /forum/post/15609145


would isolation pads beneath the speakers reduce resonance, and if so, by how much?

Significantly. All you would need is some fairly soft furniture bumpers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Try maybe the Klipsch Quintet SL speakers with a Velodyne Impact 10 subwoofer and a Denon AVR-789 reciever. MSRP of around $1600.00
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top