AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never having heard either unit, I am deciding between a used Lexicon MC-1 for about $2300 or a new Anthem AVM-20 for about $3100.

Previously I had an EAD Ovation, and currently a Denon AVR-3801 as a processor. I have followed "intensely" the Lex's praises and criticisms for a couple of years now.

Here are my usage parameters:

1. I have a separate killer 2-channel front-end. So the Lex's "processed" sound for 2-channel is irrelevant

2. My speakers are very wide dispersion.

3. I set all my speakers to large, so the limited sub cross-over selections are not an issue

4. Do not care about 2-channel or multi-channel analog bypass. Mulitle channel music for "critical" listening is of no interest to me, and can't see it being for a long time.

5. DPL2 is not important to me, as I believe Logic 7 to be comparable

6. I am not concerned about upgradability. I can't see any newer formats being of interest to me. If the Lex did not have Logic 7, then DPL2 would be a must in my next processor.

7. Balanced outputs would be preferable, but not a deal-breaker

8. I watch 1 or 2 DVD's via HTPC per week, and I watch 1-2 hours of TV via crappy-cable per week

9. Considering my limited H.T. viewing, my budget is
10. What I do want is nice clear home theatre sound

The Anthem, being a freshly new model, will still be demanding top dollar. The Lex's have already taken a major hit in depreciation, and a further recent hit due to the MC-12 release.

Am I making a smart move with the MC-1 ?

I guess I am trying to convince myself that the MC-1 is still a viable piece for my usage parameters, regardless of the new crop of excellent processors.

- Andy

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have heard the MC-1 and personally for a home theater setup. I can't see that as a bad investment. I myself am thinking about such a purchase and am looking at the MC-1. I mean. JBL put it in there 100K system for hometheater. So it ought to be good ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
"JBL put it in there 100K system for hometheater. "

I suppose that JBL and Lexicon belonging to the same parent company Harman Int. wouldn't have anything to do with that? ;)

To answer your question I think you would love an MC1 you are the perfect customer for it I think.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
if you would like the Lexicon quality minus a couple of features, there are fully loaded DC1 for sale in the AVS classifieds and on audiogon. The one i was looking at had Logic 7, DTS ES, DD EX, THX processing with the latest 4.0 software for a lousy $1200. A quality surround processor for little $. Oh, it has 24/96 DAC's and the same remote as the DC2; heck, a loaded DC1 like this is a DC2 clone minus a couple of digital inputs....I would buy it but am awaiting for the new Outlaw 950 or an upgrade for my Acurus Act3 (i have some insider information....)

Check audiogon for used MC1's as well, i have seen a few there lately.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Andy,an MC-1 for 2,300 is a steal.make sure its ver.4 ,also you will be setting up in a 7.1 speakers setup,correct??

tommy

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Andy,

"I guess I am trying to convince myself that the MC-1 is still a viable piece for my usage parameters, regardless of the new crop of excellent processors. "

It sounds like it would fit your needs very well. And it excels at what you are looking to do.

Power,

" Oh, it has 24/96 DAC's and the same remote as the DC2; heck, a loaded DC1 like this is a DC2 clone minus a couple of digital inputs...."

That ad is wrong. DC-1s never came with 24/96 DACs. Originally they came with 20/48 DACs then later versions moved to 24/48 DACs because Crystal replaced the DACs with pin compatible 24 bit versions. At the same time the A/D converter moved from a 16 bit to a 20 bit. The change in ADCs does more for you then the change in DACs. It also means the unit is of later production.

The DC-2 uses AKM 24/96 converters (same as MC-1 and I think the TAG) and has more digital and video inputs then a DC-1.

If all the units are running V4 software their processing is identical between them. A fully loaded DC-1 is still a great processor too.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My MC-1 prospect is local ... meaning no tax, duties, brokerage :)

Even though used DC-1 and DC-2 are plentiful via Audiogon by US sellers, it will cost me plenty extra to bring one into Canada.

My MC-1 prospect does have V4 software and I will be using a 6.1 setup. Also, the MC-1 has better s/n specs than the DC-1 and DC-2. And I don't do video switching.

Well it sounds like for how I intend to use it, that I can't go too wrong with a Lex.

thank for the comments - Andy

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Andy,

If its local that also means you should be able to check it out before you buy. That is always nice too.

"My MC-1 prospect does have V4 software and I will be using a 6.1 setup. "

Uhh... there really isn't a setup routine in a Lexicon for 6.1 sound. You could probably fake it in THX EX mode with a single speaker but Logic 7 wouldn't handle that properly. It is built specifically for having either a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. The designer of L7 specifically recommends against 6.1 type setups with a single rear speaker behind the listner.

Shawn

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Add the B&K Ref 30 to the list of processors using AKM DACs!

Regards,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Andy.. how did you manage to find a used MC-1 in Canada? I go out of my way to find nice gear up here... and have never seen an MC-1 come up for sale (i.e. if you do not buy it... I will!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"Add the B&K Ref 30 to the list of processors using AKM DACs! "

Thanks. I'm sure there are plenty of others too. I think the MC-12 uses them for the Zone 2 and the Record outputs.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
oops, your right Shawn, they have 24 bit processing but not 24/96.

Good price on the MC1 Andy! Your right, paying 15% tax on $2300US dollars certainly increases the price significantly doesen't it. Sometimes i wish the government would go &*(%$ themselves. I have a very big problem with giving half of all my earnings to the Canadian government. Nice toys like an MC1 are unattainable up here to buy them new unless you were to decide to skip buying that new car and taking the bus:D

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gee, I just came back from the Toronto audio show - a small piddlly event.

However, the ydid have several processors to see in person:

The RDC-7 looked very nice, though I would prefer a black finnish to the charcoal. Within financial reach, if I really really wanted it. I am going to visit the dealer and give it a listen.

The Anthem AVM-20 also looked great in person.

The Meridian 568 is out of my financial $desires.

The new twist is the Bryston SP-1, which James Tanner said will be updated very soon !

- Andy

·
Registered
738 Posts
HI,

I have been a lexicon fan for a while now. I have owned the DC1 and now been using a MC1 for about 6 mos. and its a great piece. you will love it . if you can get one for that low of a price with the V4 upgrade don't walk RUN buy it.

I have been bit by the upgrade bug again and might sell mine to get a MC12. Lexicon is a great product and has a great reputation with superb customer support.

thanks

carlos

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have used one for over 2 years, maybe more. I have had it since it was available. Best surround processor out there. I have had: PAV/PDSD, AVP, Casablanca, B & K, Fosgate, DC1, and it is just phenomenal for movies. A bit processy for music. I am getting the MC 12 any day now. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
683 Posts
With the recent announcement by Lexicon that there will not be any further upgrades to MC-1 and DC-1, this question and all the opinions will have to be revisited. Both these units are great but most people assumed that at least the MC-1 will be upgraded, given the history of these products. Now, MC-1 is still a great product but only to those who do not care for DPL-2 and for further upgrades. What you get today is what you will stay with for the life of that product.

I sure was thinking of getting a used MC-1 with the hope that at least by next spring there will be an upgrade. Now, it is clear. I will look for other products.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lexicon's announcement regarding upgrades stung many DC2 and MC1 owners, but they indicated that there may be a product at a lower price point in 12-15 months that individuals could trade there DC2 and MC1 against. No specific description of the product was indicated, but they will have a hard time selling new MC1s and DC2s that lexicon will not offer upgrades on (mild distinction-the processors are upgradeable, but they have chosen not to continue development of the old platform). I believe they will have difficulty competing with the other companies at the 3-6k price point because there feature sets are will not be comparable to the new products. Despite this statement, I believe that people will be hard pressed to identify improvements over the L7 and multichannel music modes available today in the DC2 and MC1 at 2-5K.

Andy,

you clearly understand your needs. With a statement 2 channel system already, you are looking for a home theater processor that sounds excellent. You do not require certain features (component video switching, 2 channel analog bypass, 5.1 analog bypass, balanced outputs, a more extensive array of video and digital inputs than the MC1).
Buy that MC1 and use it with a 7.1 speaker setup. You will not regret it!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Andy,

It is true that Lexicon has announced that there will be no further upgrades to the MC-1, but if that is important to you, as mentioned above the same announcement also mentioned a new processor in 12-15 months. Something to keep in mind, however, is that an MC-1 that has previously been traded up (i.e., one that is traded in for an MC-12) will most likely not be eligible for any trade-ins on the new processor that is coming in the next year or so. Which means that if you are seriously considering an MC-1, and you think that you might one day want to trade it in, you should make sure that the one you are being offered hasn't already been traded in once before for the MC-12.

Well, I'm not sure that paragraph makes any sense. It's been a long day. If not, I'm sure somebody like Shawn can clear up any confusion I've caused.

Oh well, I tried...

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ladies & Gentlemen ...

*** The MC-1 is in the House *** ( as of 5 minutes ago )

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Time to start playing :)

I may have a Bryston SP-1 next week to play with too, and will post some impressions.

- Andy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.