AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posed this question in the thread about the Radio Shack Accurian HD Receiver, but I'll pose it here also since my questions has to do with my DVD recorder. I want to record off my Accurian, but am finding that it is impossible to set a timer that turns the Accurian on and to the channel I want to record from. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but the problem comes up when I want to record two programs off different channels. My DVD recorder has no IR blaster. It was suggested that I get a universal remote that has EVENT TIMER capability. The only ones I've found will only turn the receiver on and off...not switch the channel. Anyone else out there having this issue? Suggestion are welcome.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you have a HD receiver you must have somekind of antenna. Either outdoor are in. Why not split your antenna between your HD receiver and your DVD recorder coax input. Use the composite a/v output of receiver to a/v input of dvd recorder.

When you want to record off of HD receiver use a/v input. When you want to record off of dvd recorder internal tuner set timer for that channel. The above is stated without knowing what kind of dvd recorder you have. Not all but most dvd recorders records in 480I 4:3 aspect ratio anyhow.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
In fact most DVD Recorders will have a built-in cable splitter, in the form of an RF In and an RF OUT. Feed the cable to the RF IN, and then again from the RF OUT to the Cable Box. Only when recording a channel that you must use the Cable Box to tune (100 and up typically) will you need to go that route.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the lack of information. I'm getting my reception OTA, no cable box. Yes I'm cheap, but I also don't watch that much TV. Splicing is an option I've considered but that means I won't be recording off those crystal clear digital broadcasts. Plus I want to avoid splicing my coax as that can negatively effect the signal going into my HD Tuner. I'm using a Panny DVDR FYI if that helps.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Then by Cable Box I meant HD Tuner. You won't be able to record channels you can only get on the HD Tuner directly to the DVD Recorder (without recording from an output of the HD Tuner), but presumably you have regular analog channels on the cable that the tuner in the DVD Recorder can tune and therefore record. If on the other hand your only means of tuning anything is via the HD Tuner, then that's the problem: only by changing channels (through whatever means) on the HD Tuner can you record different channels on the DVD Recorder. Let's hope that's not the case.

My Panasonic came with an IR Blaster, not yours?

Splitting (not splicing) the coaxial cable once is not that big of a deal (-3dB). Digital reception should still work unless you were marginal to begin with. And you can get RF amplifiers that can boost the level back up to where it should be. I have that gives me +20dB I believe and gives me four outputs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart
Then by Cable Box I meant HD Tuner. You won't be able to record channels you can only get on the HD Tuner directly to the DVD Recorder (without recording from an output of the HD Tuner), but presumably you have regular analog channels on the cable that the tuner in the DVD Recorder can tune and therefore record. If on the other hand your only means of tuning anything is via the HD Tuner, then that's the problem: only by changing channels (through whatever means) on the HD Tuner can you record different channels on the DVD Recorder. Let's hope that's not the case.

My Panasonic came with an IR Blaster, not yours?

Splitting (not splicing) the coaxial cable once is not that big of a deal (-3dB). Digital reception should still work unless you were marginal to begin with. And you can get RF amplifiers that can boost the level back up to where it should be. I have that gives me +20dB I believe and gives me four outputs.
I might be in trouble then. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. Any ideas of how I might use a Universal Remote to acomplish this task? My Panasonic ES20 has no IR Blaster. I guess that's ultimately what I need.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I guess some remote controls like the "VCR Copilot" can be programmed to punch up specified channels at specified times, then you just aim it at the HD Tuner and let it change the channels for you while you're gone. I have no experience with such things so I can't advise you as to how well that will work or what units are out there. But I'm guessing they aren't too expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.