AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just stick the coax into the Dish 6000 8vsb module and set the receiver to cable mode and receive all the HDTV channels? I don't any sort of cable service with ATT presently, but I might order their basic locals package (~$14). Do I have to call ATT and have them 'enable' HDTV signals on my account, or does it show up automatically?

·
Super Moderator
18,447 Posts
Probably not. First, ATT would have to be carrying HD OTA channels in the analog portion of the cable band. If you have video on every channel from 2 - 100, then they're not. Second, they'd have to be carrying those channels via 8VSB pass-thru. Some cable companies are doing this but most are putting the HD services in their Digital cable tier or using another modulation scheme.

Basically, if you don't see snow on any analog cable channels, you're out of luck.

Best bet is to just call ATT and ask them.

But, if you're in Chicago and you have the 8VSB module, then you're just a set of rabbit ears away from getting the local HDs anyway, I'd think.

Good luck

Doc

(PS: you might want to delete your cross post in the Programming forum)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, but the problem is I can't receive CBS-DT where I am very easily. On top of that, I have the silver sensor antenna (a great antenna BTW), and it's UHF only. I don't want to buy another antenna. I thought CBS-DT was being offered for free on the ATT cable system, but I don't know if it's 8VSB or not. Does anyone have any more info?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
WBBM-DT is still being carried in 8vsb in a few Chicago area AT&T/Comcast systems. It will be found around 755 MHz, which you can tune via regular cable channel 117-1 or UHF channel 61 or 62. If you subscribe to either local phone service or high speed internet via AT&T Broadband, this channel is already present on the incoming cable if your particular cable system carries the WBBM-DT signal. It is possible, however, that this channel may be dropped after the WBBM-DT antenna/power upgrade. I would suggest waiting to see if you can receive the improved signal with a rabbit ears (92" is the correct element width) and coupling it to your Silver Sensor with a 75-Ohm UHF/VHF joiner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.