AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this may be a simple question, but I haven't been able to find an answer in the archive.

I have an HDTV, but no tuner yet. After I get my tuner and get it all hooked up, will I be able to record OTA HD broadcasts using an analog VCR? I know it won't record in HD, but is there a way to record these broadcasts in SD?

·
Registered
313 Posts
In order to do that you will need a tuner that outputs HD and SD at the same time. Run the HD to the TV and the SD (via S-Video, Composite, or Coax) to the VCR.

I have the Mits SR-HD5 (Hughes E86 clone) and it will NOT output HD and SD at the same time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The W-VHS format is the availible option out there to record HDTV - via Analog Component Outputs. I bought the JVC-SR-W5U on ebay for $1,000 a while ago. They used be like $5,000 but with HD PVR and HD DVD-R going mainstream next year - the demand isn't that high for these units. The tapes are expensive. Like $40 a tape. But this VCR can also record SD to VHS and S-VHS tapes. So you don't lose that capability. The quality of recording HDTV to W-VHS is very good. It is not perfect but it is still very sharp. And good way to archive and tape special HD broadcasts. I even managed to obtain some W-VHS demo tapes from PBS and HDnet - they look amazing.

W-VHS is not as good as D-VHS, but does allow you to record HDTV from ANY HD tuner. If you are interested I know someone that is selling a W-VHS HD VCRwith a bunch of new blank tapes and about 5 pre-recorded HD specials. let me know. Good Luck.

Doc

·
Registered
321 Posts
The old Panasonic TU-DST50 output component HD and composite and S standard NTSC in three selectable formats simultaneously. So, you could easily record HD on a conventional VCR with very good NTSC video while watching in HD.

The new Samsung T-165 can be switched to output HD as 480i analog for recording, but you can't watch it in HD at the same time. I have used it to record some DVDs that looked very good, but were anamorphically squeezed 16:9 only.

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
MTW1961..

Depending on the TV and STB you use, you can try my little trick. I use an S-VHS recorder running at full speed and I record the 480i output from my STBs in the "squeezed" mode ("Full" mode on my T-151) using the S-video connections. I play this back into my Sony 57HW40 using S-video connections and I select the "full" mode which stretches the squeezed recording back to its 16:9 dimensions. Add in the Sony's built-in line doubler and 4:3 pulldown and the resulting playback is darn good, indeed. So good, I've put off any purchase of a D-VHS for the time being. If you use full speed with an S-VHS tape, you'll get a picture that's very close to DVD quality. Again, it depends on your HDTV's circuitry. And it works best with filmed dramas and comedies.

Dr Don

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
DrDon,

Sorry, but svhs recording doesn't come close to a DVHS recording from the S out of an HD-STB. I know I have both.

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
Bill..

I didn't say it did. MTS' original question involved analog taping of downconverted HD shows. That's what I do. The way the Sony HDTV handles upconverting on filmed shows makes the D-VHS not worth the money to me. There's just not that much difference between CSI "live" and taped my way. Don't get me wrong, there is a difference, but it's not enough to make me shell out for the JVC plus a third STB.

NOW, for 1080i VIDEO, my little "trick" doesn't come close to D-VHS. I'll continue to hold out for a box -- be it hard drive or tape -- with an integrated OTA tuner.

FWIW, Fox Widescreen shows taped to S-VHS look EXACTLY the same as they do "live."

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.