AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if it's possiable to use windows 7 media center to record TV shows storage will be a WD AVR DVR expander 1TB external HDD.

Then disconnect HDD from computer and connect out of the HDD w/ USB cable into this Sony DVD for playback?

Sony states I can connect minium of 1 gig memory to the input of this DVD player.

Thanks

STB

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=BDPBX37

·
Registered
959 Posts
You could do it that way but it would be more convenient just to leave the HDD on the PC the stream it via your home network. I don't know what file formats that player will support, but doing either will likely require converting the recordings as I don't think it can play WTV file containers but more than likely can play mpeg2 file and WTV usually have mepg2 streams in them so converting it to a mpeg2 file only takes minutes(1 hr show should take >10min). There's also software that can be setup to automatically convert recordings.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20779630

You could do it that way but it would be more convenient just to leave the HDD on the PC the stream it via your home network.I currently don't have a dedicated HTPC I use my lap top to record good shows I was hopping to save wear and tear on my LT and use the player for playback I don't know what file formats that player will support, but doing either will likely require converting the recordings as I don't think it can play WTV file containers but more than likely can play mpeg2 file and WTV usually have mepg2 streams in them so converting it to a mpeg2 file only takes minutes(1 hr show should take >10min). There's also software that can be setup to automatically convert recordings.

here are the file format of this player

Video

Music

Photo

*1 The player does not play coded files such as

DRM.

*2 Canada models only

ABOUT DIVX VIDEO: DivX® is a digital

video format created by DivX, Inc. This is an

official DivX Certified device that plays DivX

video. Visit www.divx.com for more

information and software tools to convert your

files into DivX video.

ABOUT DIVX VIDEO-ON-DEMAND: This

DivX Certified® device must be registered in

order to play DivX Video-on-Demand (VOD)

content. To generate the registration code, locate

the DivX VOD section in the device setup menu.

Go to vod.divx.com with this code to complete

the registration process and learn more about

DivX VOD.

*3 The player plays AVCHD format files that are

recorded on a digital video camera, etc. The

AVCHD format disc will not play if it has not

been correctly finalized.

*4 The player does not play coded files such as

Lossless.

ALL

Region code

Playable types of files

File format Extensions

MPEG-1 Video/PS*1

MPEG-2 Video/PS,

TS*1

“.mpg,” “.mpeg,”

“.m2ts,” “.mts”

DivX*2 “.avi,” “.divx”

MPEG-4 AVC*1 “.mkv,” “.mp4,”

“.m4v,” “.m2ts,”

“.mts”

WMV9*1 “.wmv,” “.asf”

AVCHD *3

File format Extensions

MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio

Layer III)

“.mp3”

AAC*1*4 “.m4a”

WMA9 Standard*1*4 “.wma”

LPCM

here's alink on the specs.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPBX37.pdf

here to
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/BDPBX37_mksp.pdf

What type of software are you suggesting for the file conversion?

Looks like I will be reduced to ripping a DVD from WMC then play on player.

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
959 Posts
Like I said it's likely it will support mpeg2 and according to what you posted it does and since that's what's normally in the WTV container it will convert quickly since i won't need any extra proccessing, if you don't care about speed but want to save space then some sort of mpeg4 would be good, h.264 is good at maintaining quality while shrinking size, it doesn't show it in the list but since it's one of the common ones used for BD I don't see why it wouldn't play from a file on the LAN or USB drive. You can use DVRMSToolbox or similar to automatically convert your 7MC recordings to mpeg2 that's stored in a network share you player can access so other than setting it up you don't need to do a thing.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been reading over the operators manual for this player, it says I can connect a HDD or flash drive via the USB port if the files are saved in FAT32.

unfortcantly my current WD HDD is Formatted NTFS which is recomended from Western digital.

doe's WMC have an option to drop and drag to another storage maybe a flash drive then just save as an mpeg2? I believe I read something that when you choose you'r WMC storage it is stuck there and can't be moved to other storage's.

or is additional software required? I'll reading up on you'r suggestion.

are you using toolbox to record w/out recording commercials?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVRMSToolbox

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've actually never used the file conversion feature of DVRMSTollbox but I've used it as part of my automatic commercial skipping in conjunction w/ showanalyzer and the DTBaddin, I use it's file watching feature which would be used to converting as well but I just have start scanning w/ showanalyzer and I use the settings tab for the features realated w/ commercial skipping which you could just leave alone unless you decide to also do automatic commercial skipping. I do use videoredo to edit and convert recorded movies and since storage space is cheap and I have plenty I save them as mpeg2 as it's fast to convert and can likely be played by anything. DVRMSToolbox has an option to save/convert w/ the commercials removed but I wouldn't use it as commercial scanning isn't always correct, in my experience more likely to find too few commercials than too many but at times it might think part of the show is commercial.

Like I said earlier I think you should just keep all the storage on the PC and set up a network share and use you players DLNA feature to stream supported files. Whatever route you decide to use to convert the WTV recordings can be set up to save the outputted supported file to the network share. SO if you used DVRMSToolbox you set it to watch your recorded TV folder, then convert files to MPEG2(or any other format it can output that's supported by the player) and to output to you network share dir(your default recorded tv folder is actually in a dir that is a network share by default once the feature is enabled as being located in the public dir along w/ a videos, music, photos and documents).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the advantages of connecting out of my wireless

HTPC (Laptop) to the DLNA of the DVD player via. USB or LAN?

and will this be an acutalle connection, or doe's each wireless device

require an independant connection from router w/ a designated IP address?

when I do get it connected will it be like an external video card for inhancing images,

and smooth out sticking an pausing frames of internet video viewing.

The toolbox video conversion sounds interesting I'll be reading up on it.

What do you think about my external storage HDD is formatted in NTFS

and not FAT32

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
been reading a little about not having my own router and connecting out of my wireless LP.

so maybe this netgear device would allow me to stream net video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfsM...eature=related

any thoughts on this connection? I thinking since it's a wired connection it dos'nt have to be a Sony brand type?

also waiting on feedback from post #7

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
959 Posts
For streaming: betterworse

Since you just mentioned you don't have a router instead of getting an ethernet to wifi adapter get a router, it will make everything easier to set up and expand.

Advantages of using LAN over USB on your player is you don't have to keep moving the USB drive around to add file then to play them, just keep the USB drive connect to the laptop in your case add things when ever you like and then there ready to played by the player over the your LAN when ever you want. Also since you said the USB port on the player only support FAt32 file system and you drive is already setup as NTFS you won't have to worry about changing that if the player is accessing file over LAN via network share of the USB drive on your laptop.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not planning on getting a router anytime soon. and also believe wired is superior.

in you'r ratings you forgot wireless to wired how would this wireless to wired adaptor rate? or is yet to be determined untill the incoming Mbps is determined?

?what is the minium of Mbps required to view Hulu w/ LT connected to TV mines kindof low and the picture pauses then plays then pauses like real slow it's just not a smooth ? what is this condition referred to as? and maybe the player will improve this?

I have read a Amazon review Man bought the player to playback from HDD review said this player will only reconize flash drives so maybe a flash drive as storage could be an current alternative ?

I plugged in a 4 Gb FD and WMC did'nt reconize it is there a minium size of FD for WMC.?

how would I know how the FD is formatted?

Thanks

STB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.