AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new Sharp Aquos LC60UD27U Ultra HD 4K TV is not playing nice with my ATT U-verse receiver box. I get picture, but audio is not working. There is either no audio at all right from the get go, or after doing hard resets, etc with ATT techs audio comes on extremely choppy for about 30 seconds then eventually goes away. A 7 year old LG LCD on that exact same box gets audio perfect using the same HDMI cable.

ATT Tech support tells me there is a firmware update that is supposed to be released within the next 40 days to fix this on the newer 4K Tv's (maybe a load of bull?) and suggested I run standard A/V cables for now. Could keep the HDMI cable plugged in from the U-verse box to the TV since the picture is coming in good, and just use the Audio cables of the RCA set to get sound for the time being without messing anything up?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
As long as you are using another device (soundbar, AV receiver . . .) for sound. The TV can't receive sound & picture from 2 different inputs.

If you want sound from the TV just use the RGB (component) for video & the analog audio for sound until the HDMI issue is resolved. You will still get 720p / 1080i from the component input.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
As long as you are using another device (soundbar, AV receiver . . .) for sound. The TV can't receive sound & picture from 2 different inputs.

If you want sound from the TV just use the RGB (component) for video & the analog audio for sound until the HDMI issue is resolved. You will still get 720p / 1080i from the component input.
[edit] See Holl_and's post below [/edit]

+1

With TV's, you are typically only able to select a single "source" at a time and if you select an HDMI source for your video then you will get the associated audio signal from that same HDMI source. To select an analog RCA source for your audio, you must use either a component or composite connection for your video. Obviously, component is the better option of the two, if available, as it is capable of carrying HD resolutions up to 720p or 1080i while composite maxes out at 480i.

Some AV receivers are capable of mixing/matching HDMI video with digital coaxial/optical or analog RCA audio using the Input Mode button. However, when mixing audio and video from HDMI and non-HDMI sources, they will only pass the video signal to a connected display over an HDMI cable. The audio can only be output from the speaker level or analog preamp outputs.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
You don't HAVE to change to Component Video (RGB) plus Audio (Red/White) Cables......

On page ENG 1-1 of your UDTV's Manual, the fine print indicates that AUDIO INPUT can be shared between PC and HDMI-3 Inputs...simply add an Audio (Red/White) cable from Cable Box Audio Output RCA Jacks to UDTV's AUDIO IN Jacks....and make sure Cable Box is connected to HDMI-3. See instructions re AUDIO INPUT selection on pg 7-1 of your Manual, which can be download from here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.sharpusa.com%2FDownloads%2FForHome%2FHomeEntertainment%2FLCDTVs%2FManuals%2FLC-60-70-UD27U_OM_EN.pdf&ei=gMkuVajaO4atyQSL8ID4Cg&usg=AFQjCNFfxHHG65aEYfkx5sP8MG2bYMWvGw&sig2=q-4gHxbfQO_3LyTyvayzlQ&bvm=bv.90790515,d.aWw

BTW: This is ALSO how an old device with ONLY a DVI Interface would be connected, using a DVI-to-HDMI Adapter Cable plus Audio (Red/White) Cable...although Sharp Manual fails to mention this alternative.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
On page ENG 1-1 of your UDTV's Manual, the fine print indicates that AUDIO INPUT can be shared between PC and HDMI-3 Inputs...simply add an Audio (Red/White) cable from Cable Box Audio Output RCA Jacks to UDTV's AUDIO IN Jacks....and make sure Cable Box is connected to HDMI-3. So you don't HAVE to change to Component Video (RGB) plus Audio (Red/White) Cables. See instructions on pg 7-1 of your Manual, which can be download from here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.sharpusa.com%2FDownloads%2FForHome%2FHomeEntertainment%2FLCDTVs%2FManuals%2FLC-60-70-UD27U_OM_EN.pdf&ei=gMkuVajaO4atyQSL8ID4Cg&usg=AFQjCNFfxHHG65aEYfkx5sP8MG2bYMWvGw&sig2=q-4gHxbfQO_3LyTyvayzlQ&bvm=bv.90790515,d.aWw

BTW: This is ALSO how an old device with ONLY a DVI Interface would be connected, using a DVI-to-HDMI Adapter Cable plus Audio (Red/White) Cable.
Nice find. It seems that they wanted to give consumers the ability to use a DVI connection (video only) on HDMI 3 for PC use with audio coming from the analog RCA inputs. This should work for the OP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.