AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be an easy one for you all. I have a home theater amp that does not have any preamp outputs. It does have and A and B output but these are powered. My question is can I run a pair of wires from say the B port to rca inputs on a multi zone amp or is there some problem with the signal already having amplification. If there is a problem what can I do if anything to get around it. THanks.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you do that you will run the risk of trashing the receiver you are inputting the B speakers output into! Those RCA inputs are made for a VERY small voltage and the voltage is WAY to high coming from the speaker outputs of a receiver!

·
Registered
413 Posts
What you need is a speaker to line level converter. I've never used one, so I can't recommend a particular one. Try some searches, you should come with something.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flapbreaker
This should be an easy one for you all. I have a home theater amp that does not have any preamp outputs. It does have and A and B output but these are powered. My question is can I run a pair of wires from say the B port to rca inputs on a multi zone amp or is there some problem with the signal already having amplification. If there is a problem what can I do if anything to get around it. THanks.
NO WAY!!! [not directly at least - you need a converter]

The B port is the output of the theater amp's amplifier - it is a "speaker level" output - or high voltage / current output.

The RCA input on the multizone amp is a "line-level" input - or low level input that will be input to the amps of the

multizone amp.

These are not compatible input/outputs. You will notice that they have different connectors - RCA jacks vs screw

terminals. They have different connectors for a reason.

If you ever find yourself making a cable with spade lugs on one side and an RCA jack on the other - you're probably

about to do something very wrong - and about to blow your amps.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Does your home theater amp have a headphone output that does NOT turn off the speakers? If so, there's your pre-amp line-level output. Just run that signal into the other amp.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
Does your home theater amp have a headphone output that does NOT turn off the speakers? If so, there's your pre-amp line-level output. Just run that signal into the other amp.
I don't think the voltage from the headphone output is compatible with the voltage on the input of the receiver.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I may have found the answere. Someone told me that most amps have a Tape Record output and that would do for a line level. I guess my question was not as easy as I thought.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The tape out will not be adjusted by the volume control of your receiver.

Try getting line converters from an auto audio center. They use them all the time.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I have outputted the headphone level of my integrated amp and connected it to the aux input of my receiver and it works perfectly fine. Although, since there might be some voltage problems, I wouldn't recommend doing it for a long time. I only did it briefly to hear records but now I'm selling the integrated amp I had with the phono stage and I'll buy a phono pre-amp.

You can't use the tape look cause like the above poster said, there is no control of the volume.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I do not want control of volume from my theater system just a line level out cause the volume control will come from my multizone amp the the line level will plug into . Or rather the volume control will come from the volume controls in each zone.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Try the tape monitor loop. I could have sworn I tried that myself once and it didn't work, but its worth a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.