AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run the Samsung BD-D5500 Home Theater into a Pioneer VSX-821-K Receiver?

I'm running bigger speakers, the Pioneer towers etc and want a more powerful receiver.

I was told since the Samsung DVD player had it's own power that isn't possible?

Does this mean I have to get another DVD player?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Afaik it does NOT have its own power, in the sense that it has a built-in power amp that can drive passive speakers.

It's very simple. Just run an hdmi cable from your BluRay player to the receiver.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22198361

Afaik it does NOT have its own power, in the sense that it has a built-in power amp that can drive passive speakers.

It's very simple. Just run an hdmi cable from your BluRay player to the receiver.
Well that was why I was asking. I thought I could do what you said, but the guy at Best Buy said it wouldn't work? Why would he do that?

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22198470

Well that was why I was asking. I thought I could do what you said, but the guy at Best Buy said it wouldn't work? Why would he do that?
Well, just be sure, because you keep talking about a DVD player (the BD-5500 is more a Bluray player, which also happens to play DVD), we're talking about this device right?

How have you connected the player at this moment? And your speakers?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22198486

Well, just be sure, because you keep talking about a DVD player (the BD-5500 is more a Bluray player, which also happens to play DVD), we're talking about this device right?

How have you connected the player at this moment? And your speakers?
When I get downstairs, I'll look.

The setup I have, the DVD player also runs the surround sound speakers it came with, two fronts, two rears, a center and subwoofer.

This is what I have:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-D5500/ZA

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmm, good I asked. You have the HT-D5500, not the BD-D5500
. They're quite different.

Your player DOES have a built-in power amp, albeit a weak one (they all are when they fit in a little box like a BR/DVD/SACD player). But it's still very likely that it'll work. Just don't connect any speakers to the player and use the hdmi connection to the receiver.

But just to be sure you should check the menu's of the player to see if you can select hdmi as output port. See if you can get sound played though your TV speakers rather than the speaker connected to the player. And then check your TV if it's indeed receiving Dolby Digital or DTS when playing a disc (or at least surround).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22198564

Hmm, good I asked. You have the HT-D5500, not the BD-D5500
. They're quite different.

Your player DOES have a built-in power amp, albeit a weak one (they all are when they fit in a little box like a BR/DVD/SACD player). But it's still very likely that it'll work. Just don't connect any speakers to the player and use the hdmi connection to the receiver.

But just to be sure you should check the menu's of the player to see if you can select hdmi as output port. See if you can get sound played though your TV speakers rather than the speaker connected to the player. And then check your TV if it's indeed receiving Dolby Digital or DTS when playing a disc (or at least surround).
Here is the manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201202/20120202152807775/HT-D5500_XAA_web_1226.pdf

It has the HDMI out like the one in the pic you showed me...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22198658

Feeling lazy?

Yes it will work. See p37
yes as I worked 12 hours last night, just got up. LOL

Reason I'm asking this question as Best Buy has a open box Denon - 600W 5.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver for $165 right now and I didn't want to waste my $$$

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't understand most of the techie stuff on page 36-38.

What part says I can run it through the Receiver? In layman terms...

BTW, thanks for all your help... it IS appreciated.

I''m gonna go down and buy that Denon Receiver.

At the worst, I can return it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't worry it'll work. I know because the table on p37 depicts which output signal you get when connected to an A/V receiver. The very fact that you can get audio though HDMI suffices and the table also confirms that bitstreaming is supported. Set the following settings once you have the receiver:

- "HDMI audio" to "On"

- "Digital Output" to "Bitstream (Unprocessed)"

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22198753

Don't worry it'll work. I know because the table on p37 depicts which output signal you get when connected to an A/V receiver. The very fact that you can get audio though HDMI suffices and the table also confirms that bitstreaming is supported. Set the following settings once you have the receiver:

- "HDMI audio" to "On"

- "Digital Output" to "Bitstream (Unprocessed)"
Those Best Buy salesmen don't know nothing. Two of them said it wouldn't work... I bought it anyway. Just got home with it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22199769

Nice! Let me know how it works out
Was out of town this weekend. Will try it tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting Dish TV sound just fine, but no DVD sound. Good picture.

DVD gets sound if I use the speaker hookup through it, but when I disconnect the speakers from the dvd player and use the main ones that work for Dish, no sound.

So, it sounds like the Best Buy guy was right, said I wouldn't get any sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Strange, because according to the manual it has to work. There are even rows in that table for "Audio Stream on Blu-ray Disc" and "Audio Stream on DVD", both indicating that hdmi audio is no problem. And there are column headers that say "HDMI supported AV receiver". Doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you have set hdmi audio to on? Also try updating the firmware. It might help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22204458

Strange, because according to the manual it has to work. There are even rows in that table for "Audio Stream on Blu-ray Disc" and "Audio Stream on DVD", both indicating that hdmi audio is no problem. And there are column headers that say "HDMI supported AV receiver". Doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you have set hdmi audio to on? Also try updating the firmware. It might help.
well, I get a great picture for now, no sound. It's set to hdmi. I remember I had to run the optical cord to get sound before, maybe I do here too? I tried BD to Receiver where it was BD to sat dish. Neither works.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06  /t/1419114/can-i-run-the-samsung-bd...to-a-pioneer-vsx-821-k-receiver#post_22205915

Can you connect another hdmi device to that port to rule out any problems with the source device?
Right now I don't have another HDMI device. It does appear that the 3D DVD player is going to use it's own power. Wish I could work around this. Right now I have the player using the speakers that came with it. For the TV dish stations, I am using the Tower & subwoofer speakers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can try running an optical S/PDIF. And mail Samsung that their device is buggy and borderline broken.

You could also try to sell your BR player and buy a new, simple one without amp. People might be interested in those, since if they break you cannot easily buy a new one (without buying at least two speakers). Without it, their passive speakers are rendered useless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts