AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of most valuable components in my system is my RCA RCRPO5B remote but keys are loosing responsiveness after a few years.Wondered if anyone ever pried off the cover and cleaned the contacts with alcohol or even cut out tin foil circles to stick behind buttons that stop working as is shown on Youtube?Would I loose my settings if I attempted either task. Thanks matt

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
One of most valuable components in my system is my RCA RCRPO5B remote but keys are loosing responsiveness after a few years.Wondered if anyone ever pried off the cover and cleaned the contacts with alcohol or even cut out tin foil circles to stick behind buttons that stop working as is shown on Youtube?Would I loose my settings if I attempted either task. Thanks matt
I answered the same question from you a month ago:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-re...nresponsive-button-rca-po5b.html#post32252337

You won't lose any settings. I've done this with many remotes over the past 20 years or so.

I'd clean the button sheet and circuit board, but the tin foil thing isn't long term or reliable. Conductive paint works fine too, but is more expensive than a new remote.

Here's a brand new JP1 remote that does everything the RCA can do except learn for about $3, if you think your time is worth more than that. It uses all the same codes and programming procedures and JP1 software (if you use Remote Master).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-WORK...l-Silver-on-demand-DVD-dvr-cable/181631605544

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry but thanks again.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I use the "metal tape" they have for AC ducting (and such) to "improve" the "dying" contacts. It works well as the adhesive is "industrial strength".

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was determined to take apart my RCA remote with no screws present.Credit card didnt work but a butter knife and a screwdriver did the trick.Cleaned it all except the back of the board with alcohol and swabs and it was dirty and wet in there.Put it back together and got nothing on any buttons.Figured I might have ruined something but as a last ditch effort I popped it open again and cleaned back of the board this time,put it back together and it works like a charm.No idea what I did different second time I opened it but it works and thats the bottom line.All buttons responsive.Thanks to mdavej.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Maybe it was still a little wet the first time. I avoid metal tools on plastic due to scratches and dents. But if you can't get the credit card to work, they'll do the job.

Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yep... the aluminum foil types. I had some kicking around. Basically take a hole punch (or just hand cut) the size for the button pad. Peel off the backing and stick onto the pad. I have two old sony touch screen remotes that have some hard buttons for common functions. From regular cleaning, the contact pads lose their "conductivity" and basically fail. Originally, I tried "shaving" the pads off an old remote and gluing the "thin cutting" to the existing pad but it was very hard to get it thin enough such that the pad wasn't always contacting the circuit board. The tape is thin and sticks well to a clean contact pad.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you stick the tape on the back of the button or on the circuit board that corresponds to the unresponsive button?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts