AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a URC MX-890 that I am using in my main room for all of my gear. I also have an HTPC in the same room which I am attempting to control via my URC remote.

What I am currently doing is the following:

I bought this remote from Amazon and then taught the buttons to my MX-890 as on-screen buttons. The issue is that this remote isn't actually an RC6 remote and it is sending keyboard presses rather than "remote" commands and therefore Eventghost doesn't pick it up as a regular remote.

I am currently using AutoHotKey on the HTPC to pickup the commands from this remote and then do what I would like but the issue is that there are only a few buttons on the remote which I can teach to my URC remote for more complicated things that I'd like done on the PC.

Is there a better solution for this? Ideally I would like to be able to create a lot of on-screen buttons on my URC remote to do complex tasks on the computer. Like being able to program a button on my remote to send something like CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+5 or something which does a specific command. Or being able to program a key to send the letter 'S' so that I can toggle subtitles on or off while watching something through Plex. Using AutoHotKey on the PC side, I feel like this would really be the ideal setup.

Which remote do I need to buy to accomplish this? Or is this not possible? Hoping some of the pros on here know how to proceed.

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
It is sending regular CIR remote commands. They are simply Ortek protocol rather than RC6, nothing special or hard to learn (except the mouse movements). If you want all those combo and special keys, you'll have to spend another $40 to get an HP dongle and a harmony 200 for teaching. The Ortek doesn't have any such commands, but MCE (RC6-32) does.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mdavej,

Thanks for the response. I took a look at the Harmony 200 and am a little confused. How would I use that remote to teach my main remote (URC MX-890) keyboard combinations like "CTRL+ALT+5" or something similar? It doesn't seem to have anything but regular keys on it...

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Physical buttons on harmony don't matter. You assign whatever you want to any key on the 200 or whatever cheap harmony you can find, learn a batch of them, assign another batch, repeat until you learn them all. Here's the whole list and the profile you need to use. Not every possible combination like CTRL+ALT+5 or letters, but quite a few. I find it a lot easier to simply use a wireless keyboard when I need QWERTY or complex commands like yours.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/m-p/374844

Not long ago I attempted to convert all of them to pronto hex, but it was too much hassle, so I gave up. If you could do it, that would be nice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1482533/can-i-send-keyboard-commands-from-my-urc-mx-890-remote#post_23550036

Physical buttons on harmony don't matter. You assign whatever you want to any key on the 200 or whatever cheap harmony you can find, learn a batch of them, assign another batch, repeat until you learn them all. Here's the whole list and the profile you need to use. Not every possible combination like CTRL+ALT+5 or letters, but quite a few. I find it a lot easier to simply use a wireless keyboard when I need QWERTY or complex commands like yours.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/m-p/374844

Not long ago I attempted to convert all of them to pronto hex, but it was too much hassle, so I gave up. If you could do it, that would be nice.

Ahh ok, I see what you're saying. That makes sense.

How many of them did you convert to Pronto Hex? Could you share the ones you did. I'd be happy to convert all of them if you could point me to a guide on how exactly one converts an IR code to Pronto Hex code.

Thank you.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Sorry, the few I tried are long gone. I was hoping your URC software would have some better tools to do it. My method is no good on these signals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts