Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have really enjoyed the forums and have recently started looking at DirectView TVs after ruling out FP and RPTVs. I won't go into the reasons but my decision was made after lurking in those forums and reading the great advice there.

Anyway I have a connection question for using an RCA F38310 (not purchased yet), a progressive scan DVD player (not purchased yet), a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo, and a Sony STR-DB1070 receiver together.

I will be as specific as possible:

RCA F38310 has one component input and one optical output for audio.

DVD (looking at Sony) has two component outputs, one optical and one coaxial output for audio.

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo has one S-video output, one optical and one coaxial audio output.

Sony STR-DB1070 receiver has two component inputs and one component output, three optical inputs (labeled DVD, TV/SAT, and MD), one coaxial audio input (labeled DVD), one optical output (for MD), plus several S-video/standard AV RCA connections.

The problem is with the optical inputs. In order to use my SAT-T60 as well as the DirecTV receiver built into the TV and the DVD I need another optical input on the receiver.

Unfortunately I bought the receiver before I stumbled upon these forums. Is it new receiver time or is there a work-around, switch or other solution?

I realize opinions will vary about my choices but I'm pretty sure I need a Dirctview TV and I like the RCA alot. Any recommendations are welcome regarding my equipment selection but I am more interested in the specific question regarding optical inputs.

Thanks to everyone! Will try to keep it shorter next time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could I connect the DVD player to the coaxial audio input on the receiver, connect the optical out on the TV to the optical DVD input on the receiver, and simply turn off the DVD player and hear dolby digital from the TV with receiver set to DVD?

·
Registered
736 Posts
If your Sony works like my STR-DE845 AV receiver there is an Input Mode button which toggles through the various audio inputs associated with the selected digital source. For example, when the Reciever is set to play DVD and the Input Mode button is pressed the receiver will move from Digital Coaxial to Digital Optical to Analog to Auto. When set to Auto I believe it will detect and select the active source. If you have more than one of the associated audio sources active you will have to manually select the one you want.

There are also digital audio switchers available that will add even more available inputs. Check out www.copperbox.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply gerhard911. It does toggle the inputs like your receiver. However instead of Auto it says Not Assigned. I've tried it and it seems to behave in an automatic fashion. I re-read the manual and it was there.

Thanks for solving it for me!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
In the radio Shack 2002 catalog part #15-1586 4 into 1 optical connections price $29.99 or www.radioshack.com toll free 1-800-843-74225 There Grace your problem can now be solved. I ran into this when connecting my 2 Sony DVD Mega Changer into one Y-Pr-Pb component outleton my F38310 last year. I bought and converted a IN3504 from www.inlineinc.com then got 15 gold plated bnc to rca phono jacks for a 4 to 1 component input. Good luck Grace and welcome to AVS forum. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just plugged my optical out from the Sony DirecTivo into the MD optical input on the receiver (my third input) to see if it would pick up 6.1 Dolby Digital. It works!! This solves my problem since I can use all three inputs and won't need a switch. Didn't think the MD input would do that but glad it does.

Thanks all !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.