AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, thanks to Isabel (and our power going on an off) my UTV in the bedroom is no longer turning on. had it on a cheap surge protector and it didn't do crap. I have about 30 hours of stuff recorded on there that I really don't want to loose!

the only thing i could think of was to get another UTV off of ebay or something and then open them both up and do a harddrive swap.

would that work? I not sure why it won't turn on, but even if this didn't work i would at least have another UTV again upstairs.

the only other option was to maybe send it to www.dssrepair.com , read a bit about them from another thread. Since it's an RCA I can't send it to them to fix as they will return me another one

any thoughts on anything i could do myself or any options would truly be appreciated. you guys have been incredibly helpful in the past, i hope you can work your knowledge magic for me again :)

thanks! marc

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Same advice as always, unplug your UTV, disconnect the cables from the dish, remove the access card, and let it sit overnight. You should be able to power it up the next day. I still have no idea exactly why you need to remove the access card for it to reboot, but you do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Excellent advice! Hopefully it will work.

To answer your question; No you cannot just swap the drives. If you do (and if the units are working) they will see the drives as foreign and wipe them and call to download the OS. You will end up with a fresh system and loose everything that was there.

kazak

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey it worked!! pulled all chords and access card, let it sit for about a day and just hooked it up (just got power back actually) and the damn thing worked! thank you again very much for the help. was really bummed to think i would loose all that i have saved. first thing tomorrow i'm transferring the most important ones to the PC!

thanks again, marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.