AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I take my Home Theater to Europe?

So there is a very real possibility that I will be moving to Ireland in the near future, and I was looking for information from knowledgeable people if it is possible and realistic to bring my American Home theater setup with me.

I am of course aware of the voltage differences between the Electrical systems of America and Europe. I also have heard the difference in the frequency of the electrical current makes ntsc televisions basically useless in Europe, but how would that effect a projector?

I have a pretty basic home theater. Panasonic PT-AE900U, Surround sound receiver, speakers, sub, etc.... Im not really looking forward to the thought of having to rebuy everything over in Ireland as everything is MUCH more expensive.

I was wondering if a voltage converter along the lines of this would do the trick
3000W Step UP / DOWN Voltage Transformer

Any information on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hey I'm from North America but I live in 220 India. Projectors are no problem at all, totally dual voltage. The receiver (and powered sub) are the 2 things you need to worry about. Some receivers are in fact dual voltage with a switch (probably easier to make 1 model for both markets) but these are the minority. I'm actually researching to find one that's cheap with HDMI right now to import it.

That step down is similar to what I use here in India for my HT, except mine is 750 watts and not 37lbs
That's most of 1 suitcase, just that one piece. I've actually been using a 200 watt unit on my 500 watt rms sound system and it's been mostly fine. I did have one power surge or drop off or something resulting in a blown channel and blown satellite, but I attribute that to the horrible power supply here in India, not my equipment. I now have a UPS hooked into my sound system (small computer type).

So yes you're on the right track. I've been living on step-down converters for the last 2.5 years in almost every room in my house and it's not an issue, generally. I'd suggest you figure out the real needs of your sub and receiver and get a step-down closer that. Maybe I'm just in another market segment and you really do need 3000 watts
If so you rock!

Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Germany where the power is 220V/50hz.

Like nightfly13 said, most projectors are dual voltage and not a problem. My VPL-HS20 is.

Also like nightfly13 said, your receiver could be a problem. Voltage is not your only concern. Check the power requirements on the back of receiver. If you purchased it in the US, more than likely, it is ONLY 110V/60Hz. If you are lucky it is switchable or can handle 50Hz. Step-down transformers only convert voltage. They DO NOT convert frequency (60 to 50Hz). Using a 60Hz ONLY device with 50Hz power can sometimes destroy the power supply. although it may work fine for several days. You can purchase combination voltage&frequency converters but they are very expensive. It would be cheaper to purchase a new receiver.

Working for the US Military, we are fortunate that the local Base or Post Exchange normally sells dual voltage AV equipment. Unfortunately, the selection is not that great and they are often a year or more behind on current models. My Yamaha RX-V2400 is begging to be replaced with a RX-V2700 but the BX is still selling RX-V2500 (two years old no HDMI). I have been unable to find an online retailer selling the dual voltage RX-V2700 model :-(

Good luck and remember to pay attention to frequency as well as voltage.

Also, other European countries are often cheaper than Ireland or the UK. France and Germany come to mind. Mail order to those countries is an option or you might want to take a road trip.

Rob

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Great first post, Rob

Here in India the power is 190-240ish and I have no idea what the frequency is, I doubt my power company does either

I posted a thread about dual voltage receivers and got 1 hit so far, on some guy's old receiver, nothing about current models, I'd love to get others helping in that research.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nightfly13

I doubt I would actually need 3000 watts of power. That model converter is only slightly more expensive than a 2000w or 1500w model, so to me it would seem to make sense to have the additional capacity for only a bit more money.

However, if my projector is dual voltage, that really lowers my power needs. My receiver is pretty old and due for an upgrade, so I would have no problem with buying a new one to replace it. It looks like I might be out of luck with my dvd player as well, which makes me sad since I really love my Oppo player.

My other concern would be my Xbox360. I dont know if that would accept 220 volts. But I figure I can either just replace the power brick with a European model, or run it off a voltage converter. Does anyone know if it will accept 220 volts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the US version Xbox360 and Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player. While both are 110/120V, both can handle 50Hz. I currently have both running off a 220-110V 750 watt step down transformer which is more than twice what they need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Australia and want to purchase a 605 receiver, the prices here are unreal 40% more vs the US $400 t0 600 US( $1200 Aus). Given the conversion rate we are till out by $500 to 700. I have a transformer converter that will step me down from 240 to 110 with 50-60 hz. The hz seems not a problem. I can order from the US and save a lot of $$$$. I have read the threads and from what I have read my transformer should handle the conversion (it 2000 watts) Am I OK? I am still a bit concerned. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.