AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Model B withOUT CSR and with a HCMW screen (since my projector will be putting out 2200 lumens I figured I wouldn't need the HP screen). However, I've read that the HP screen helps considerably in reducing waves. My screen will practically be a permanent mount with no need to retract it at all... so if I were to pull it out and mount it tautly, would that be good enough to reduce waves (or does it come from the factory with waves already?). Has anybody ever just bought the screen material and fashioned their own frame?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you are not caring about retracting the screen....I would't even consider getting a manual pulldown (Model B). Many people just buy the fabric itself or the fabric on a fixed frame. Why would you want to spend all that money on the pull down assembly if you aren't going to use it? :)

Go to www.dalite.com and check out the fixed screen options....or call the good folks here at AV Science.

Good Luck!

MQ25

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I agree. If the retracting isn't important, don't get a manual screen. If you still go that route, note that there is really no way of stopping the waves if they happen. The problem is that the tensioning already exists top to bottom (roller and batten bar take care of that). The side to side tensioning, or lack of, is what causes the waves to occur. Short of a permanent screen or tensioned electric, there is nothing that can be done to stop that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aww c'mon, we have to think harder than this. Maybe you could sew up some black fabric sleeves the height of your screen. Into the sleeves would go a length of thin-guage steel cable which would somehow attach to the top bar and the bottom bar, while still allowing the cable to be rolled up with the screen.

The sleeves would taper inward toward the middle to produce the tension needed along the horizontal plane. You might have to sew the sleeves on top of the screen a few inches in (effectively changing the aspect ratio of your screen by a few inches) to allow them to roll up, but that would only be necessary if the Model B's roller has no room for extra material on the edges.

A very doable upgrade in my opinion. See image for what I was thinking...

Added note...I agree that the point is moot if he doesn't really need to rollup the screen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I've decided to just make a DIY screen using raw Da-Lite fabric and mount it permanently to my wall. Now, I just need to get some pricing for some Da-Lite material... Jason, you have mail! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.