AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my projector mounted up to high so the image hits the ceiling....I want to bring the image down. Can i raise the rear of the projector to make the image point down more? Or will this make it impossible to converge the screen? By the way its a 1030q1. It is my last choice to move the projector down because that would interfere with a lot of stuff that I'd rather not change if i can just raise the rear of the projector

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmm, I have a 1270, so I don't have the same projector, but mine is mounted under an angle, I needed to change the following to get the picture correct.

you need to change "key" to get the image straight,

you need to change "lin" to make to distance between the horizontal lines equal for top and bottom

for optical focus you will need to increase the distance between the lens and crt at the bottom lens mount point, for example using washers.

This is to compansate for the change in optical angle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I forgot, the amount of washers needed for the lens mount was in a table in the installation manual, I guess you have to look in your to get it straight, or look at the "holy focus" thread

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
alchemist,

Projectors are designed to be level, when you tilt them it will give you a uneven focus balance top to bottom, the same applies to being centered in the middle of the screen, the side to side focus balance will suffer.

Another issue here is the electronic adjustments needed to correct this.

Before you go to far your amplitude may be to big or the image shift might be wrong so check that first, second check the raster and see if its centered in the tube face.

If you need to fudge it a bit this should be done with a understanding that you will lose some of the picture quality and could be putting a strain on it, a little shouldnt hurt it but a lot will. Doug

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more i think about it I realize that it might be best to move the projector....I'm now faced with a dillema.....Do i loose 2-3 feet of throw distance or do i loose my closet. It currently has a 12 foot throw, but would drop down to 9 if i changed locations entirely

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just 2 cents of thought from a newby here but, I would think the only concern would be keystone correction which it seems, would have to compensate in the opposite of it's normal direction.

·
Registered
16,601 Posts
-- this type of tilt can be done with great results , but it does take some work . Mr.Kuo even stated that if this were done properly then you may even gain some PQ . I have my 1031Q done in this manner [ with a tilt shooting to the middle of my screen ] and I have a fantastic image [ as many others have seen ] . The key to this is that everything needs to be as centered as possible on the tube face . Once you tilt the unit you lose much of the adjustment as even the slightest focus adjustment will throw off the image to a great degree .

--- For a unit like the 1030Q1/1031Q 12' is too far for the throw distance [ unless you are doing a larger than 100" diagonal] and 9' is too close [ unless you are doing a 72" diagonal image ] .

------Best of Luck ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i'm not really doing either the 100 or 92" image...... I'm just going for what fits.....I'm trying to do a 16:9 image on the wall.....I can put a screen up later. I'm just trying to determine placement. I unfortunately have only those two options. either i place the pj in the closet and close the door when not in use...resulting in a 12 foot throw, or i am forced to put in inthe room resulting in a ~9foot throw since the bedroom is really only 11x11.....if anyone cares the link to the floorplan is
http://www.rollingridge.com/rw2br.html

The theatre setup is/will be in the bedroom with the bathroom. I'm not looking for a huge image, i'm looking for a good image......remember i paid 50$ for the PJ and only looking for good quality with a HTPC....i'm not asking for breathtaking results.....i'm watching dvd's on a 27inch regular tv right now so anything will be an improovement

·
Registered
437 Posts
Despite what Doug has said about a projector being even (and his words are not to be taken lightly), I have used my NEC 9PG Xtra and my NEC DP1200-S at angles other than the recommended choices. It requires having sufficient Keystone, Bow and point convergence to make the image come out converged. It also requires adjustment of the focus knobs (or spacers) to allow for better optical focus from top to bottom. Finally, you don't want to push critical adjustment components beyond their acceptable limits (e.g. pushing a transistor to values that cause failures), although I have never found this to be a problem.

Also look at these other threads that I have commented on about tilts;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=133953

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=134765

By the way, I really like the idea of installing it in the closet. Less visible to intruders, guests, and others. It also will probably act somewhat as a hushbox too.

(If you reinforce the walls of the closet, it will probably be the 1st Panic Room with high definition TV!:D )

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wish it was HDTV capable.....that would be awesome. But i think I know what i have to do......Goodbye to having a useable closet.....its going to have to serve as home to the PJ and I'll have to find another place for the clothes....I dont want to deal with converging an image that will be that hard to do due to do. Since i'm new to this i think i need to keep it as simple as possible

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hi Guys,

I like the idea of it in the closet also, with some creative thinking it could work esp with some kind of slide panel for the optical throw. A closet pull doesnt have to be up high to hold a jacket or shirts, and it could be vented.

The next issue is on the above post I made, I can only suggest what I know from correcting and fixing projectors and thats what I base my opinions on. This isnt wrote in stone but what I find to get the most out of the projector with the less stress. Yes, with some reworking you can take some of this off the electronics and optics.

If I had to cover this projector with a warranty that would be another issue and why I recommend being in spec. The other down side is when you want to upgrade it and sell it to someone running a different configuration the raster is going to show and in a big way, I have been in warranty to long I guess and a have a pile of defective C and F drives as well as deflection boards. Most of these come from tilted projectors or ones that are set up out of spec.

So my opinions are based on the perfect world and not that it cant be done. With some more thought you might find a compromise that works, the screen can also be tilted a bit to make up for some of this but only if your viewing it from straight on. Doug

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Uh, I'm wondering when I advocated tilting a projector downward. Upward yes sometimes, but not downward. Downward increases the keystone and Scheimpflug requirements.

·
Registered
16,601 Posts
Dear Dr.Kuo ,

-- I cannot find the post now [ of course :( ] but there was a recent thread in which you said that having the lens parallel to the screen could actually increase PQ if done properly [ this was not word for word obviously - as you are much more educated on this subject than I am ] . If I mis-understood what you wrote then I certainly apologize . I guess the tilt depends upon which way we are talking about having the PJ mounted [ floor or ceiling ] .

-- Thank You Sir ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Doug wrote:

> the same applies to being centered in the middle of the screen, the side to side focus balance will suffer. this type of tilt can be done with great results , but it does take some work . Mr.Kuo even stated that if this were done properly then you may even gain some PQ .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.