AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1000W sony dav-hdx274 and I'm very happy with it but if I get a BluRay I would like to add a receiver that can handle HDMI. I would also like to upgrade the 285w sub to a better one that gets it's power from an electrical outlet instead of the receiver.

The speakers currently have special connectors. Is it possible to cut the ends off the wires and plug them into a upgraded receiver?

The reason I ask is because I am short on money and want to slowly upgrade to a better system.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you are better off getting an all new HTIB that is more suited to upgrading. The Onkyo line or Yamaha line would be good choices.

The problem with the kind of integrated systems like you have is just that. They are made to be used with their own components and thats about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. Thats why the first thing that would be replaced would be the receiver. That way I would be using only the speakers from my current HTIB. Then I could save up and replace the seapers eventually too.

Or does it not work this way?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I think you can do that…the speakers themselves have spring clips on the back with + and – indicated, don’t they. If so you could just use any speaker wire or cut off the connectors on the wire you do have and use that – test it out first. The connectors are there to make it easier to plug the speakers into the right place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/15513320

I think you can do thatthe speakers themselves have spring clips on the back with + and - indicated, don't they. If so you could just use any speaker wire or cut off the connectors on the wire you do have and use that - test it out first. The connectors are there to make it easier to plug the speakers into the right place.

Right. I would have to cut the connectors. I am actually really happy with the systems sound it just doesn't have any HDMI inputs. Is there a noticable difference beween sound using HDMI compared to Optical?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
What's the impedence (ohm rating) on the speakers you have now? Should say somewhere on the speaker itself or in the manual under the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanater /forum/post/15515442

Is there a noticable difference beween sound using HDMI compared to Optical?

Depends on the audio codecs used. Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, no difference. TrueHD, most likely a difference, but optical can't carry that codec anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15516122

What's the impedence (ohm rating) on the speakers you have now? Should say somewhere on the speaker itself or in the manual under the specs.

Depends on the audio codecs used. Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, no difference. TrueHD, most likely a difference, but optical can't carry that codec anyway.

The impendence rating is 75ohms. What does this mean?

And I was asking what difference I would notice if I had a blueray hooked up using and optical connection as oposed to having it hooked up with HDMI so I can enable trueHD.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanater /forum/post/15519887

The impendence rating is 75ohms. What does this mean?

That's not the speakers, that's probably the video or digital audio input or something. Speakers should be something like 4-8 ohms.

Quote:
And I was asking what difference I would notice if I had a blueray hooked up using and optical connection as oposed to having it hooked up with HDMI so I can enable trueHD.

Some say there is a huge difference, some say subtle. Only your ears can tell you which it is.

Although small HTIB speakers will probably be more on the subtle end. Get better speakers down the road and you'll probably see more of a difference (although more likely because of the speakers themselves than anything TrueHD provides.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
On my old all in one the sub is what housed the amp for the speakers as well. The speakers will work with another receiver but the sub wont. On mine that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts