AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been lurking here for some time but this is my first post. I tried doing a few quick searches but I didn't have very much luck. Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

I'm currently using an HTPC at 1280x720 with an NEC XG135LC. I've been very happy with the performance, but I've been cosidering switching to a Faroudja NRS for the ease of use. I've recently seen a number of 1366x768 units on the used market at reasonable prices (as opposed to the relatively few 1280x720 units) and I was wondering if it would be OK to run this configuration with the XG135LC. I know that the NEC should sync to pretty much any resolution so that shouldn't be a problem. I also know that 1280x720 is pretty much the sweet spot for an 8" CRT but 1366x768 doesn't seem too far off. Is there any reason why this setup wouldn't work or would not produce images that are comparable to what I currently have.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Dino

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
can't see why it wouldn't. I used to have a xg135LC (now have a g90u). It had no problems with even higher resolutions.

One thought. 768 is an uneven multiple of dvd output (720p). I would guess that a more "even" multiple would generate less scaling artifacts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't think the images would be any worse, but I'm not sure if it would be any better -- the thing that you get the NRS for is for the Faroujda box to do the deinterlacing and scaling, such that you effectively put out a native rate signal, so that your display device doesn't have to do any scaling. But if you're putting out a 1366x768, and your display device is a 1280x720, then your device is still going to have to do some scaling.

I imagine one of the reasons you're asking is that you're getting the NRS for a good price. If so, note that you can call Faroudja, ship the box to them, and they will change the internals of the box so that it has the resolution you want.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Note that when Faroudja changes resolutions on their NRS, they do charge you. IIRC the charge was somewhere in the $600 to $800 range, but I don't have first-hand experience of that.

-Jon

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you're interested in pricing an NRS native rate change, check with Jason at AVS. AVS used to provide a pretty decent price on this, but I don't know for sure if they still get involved with NRS changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am aware that Faroudja does offer resolution changes for the NRS but I was hoping to stay away from that if possible. Adding $500-$700 to the price of the unit doesn't make it all that great a deal anymore. Then again, I guess if I get the unit and the 1366x768 resolution isn't a good fit, I don't really have anything to loose since I can always have the unit updated.

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone running this resolution with a CRT though just to see if they're happy with this particular resolution. I know there are plently of happy Faroudja owners out there.

Thanks again!

Dino

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The NRS series pop's up quite often on EBAY so you might as well wait on what you want. 720P is a good all around choice for the XG135. Some prefer to see scan lines as it appear's a little sharper than a higher scan without. Personal pref.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.