AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The RPTV's that Mitsubishi introduced in the last year or so have a VGA input on them to hook up computers I suppose, can I use that input to have a custom HTPC hooked to it? If so what do you guys suggest using as far as HTPC to use for DVD, TIVO, Directv, and S-VHS? I am totally new to this HTPC concept and it sounds like an interesting alternative to the scaler idea!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thread poster I think what I put in post subject says it all. You have told us your christmas wish list but not how much you want to spend. When asking a group of dedicated people you should give them all the facts, so they may consider what you could purchase.

You gave us your wish list now give us how much money you have to spend. My crystal ball can't tell me but you can, give it a shot and you might get some replies.Thread poster it would be wise to keep these very important things in your mind when posting again. That is if you want to be replied to, if not keep posting wish lists.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I should probably be posting this in a new thread hopefully someone read down to this point!

To respond to the VGA question- yes you can connect the htpc to it as for a htpc you should use the search command for "Best in Class" and start there.

:confused: New question with regards to HDTV. The Mitsubishi's list the vga input as 640x480/60Hz. Is this the max res or just the native? Or I'm I way of and it means something else.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Zed3,

I don't believe the question asked was how much would it cost to do what he asked, it was is this the connector to use with the equipment he wants to interface with. It didn't look like a Christmas list to me. He had a specific question about specific equipment configs. Cost has no bearing on this question. The tone of your response seems a little impatient and I have noticed this on some of your other posts. Relax my friend, this is a hobby which we all enjoy, not life or death. We all start somewhere while learning this hobby and replies with the tone that was exhibited in your response might discourage those who are new to this and learning from posting. I am not saying this to offend you just to suggest keeping the attitudes light. You were a newbie once. ;)

Dan

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcar473
The RPTV's that Mitsubishi introduced in the last year or so have a VGA input on them to hook up computers I suppose, can I use that input to have a custom HTPC hooked to it?
bcar473,

You covered a broad area so you need to crawl before you walk.

Assuming you are referring to the 2002 model year sets here is the start.

My 2002 Mits model will accept RGBHV (vga) on it's DTV input except it uses 5 RCA connectors instead of the 15 pin vga connector.

You get a breakout cable from Digital Connection which has a 15 pin VGA connector on one end which goes onto the PC's video card and 5 RCA plugs on the other end which goes into the DTV input.

You set the DTV input to RGB and then you setup a Custom T&R on your graphics card. You can do 1080i/540p @60Hz plus other's.

See this link for Custom T&R info (Thanks to Karnis)
http://www.digitalconnection.com/sup...ffnotes_17.htm

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much Zed3, make me feel sooooo welcome here.....I have been around on these boards without posting much for the last two+ years because I didn't want to be belittled by people like you......

and now am looking to get into more complex issues of the HTPC, but I am not a Windows user (macintosh die-hard) and am frankly a little timid about getting into a windows based PC system for a scaler.

Now as far as the Christmas wish goes or so you want:

I want to spend very little on a HTPC setup, like $1000 or far less, being that I have seen the Crystalimage and other nice scalers for sale on the used side for around that price. Also I feel like I would like to see major benefits from either a HTPC or scaler over just using standard inputs and internal upconversion. I want to see the computer scale stuff to 1080i type resolutions and make "regular" TV watchable.

As far as the Mits TV, it does have a 480i/p component input and a RGBHV input that accepts 1080i, but the higher end models do have a separate VGA input that I was hoping would do some nice stuff with a HTPC and free up the other two inputs for HDTV sources.

And to those with the 540p hooked up to their TV's...how does it truely look???? Is it a MAJOR improvement?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Bcar473:

___Whichever Mits’s inputs are labeled as its digital or 720p/1080i input by the manual, that is the one you want to use. I believe in the past that the Mit’s RGB input was limited to 480p or similar? I may be wrong on this? Anyway, I recently connected up an HTPC to a Mits 65†and used the RGB to 5-BNC and that was all their was too it. Be careful that you do not simply connect up to the 480/960 inputs or you may never synch. I had this problem myself in that the customer did not have his cables wired correctly into the back of his set for this and we could not move the set the first time I was over. After some of the forum members that owned it gave me even more information, we pulled the set, connected up the DTV input to the HTPC via the RGB to 5-BNC and began to play ;)

___Zed3: Please conduct yourself in a much more friendly manner. You crossed the line and it will not be tolerated.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.