AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some people talking about how every couple of weeks or so they sucks the dust out of their PS3 with a vacuum so it doesn't choke to death. Does this work? Is it effective? And can I use something like a little hand vac to get the job done?

·
Banned
2,969 Posts
I use that air in a can for electronics. Just did it yesterday and it didnt hurt anything. I dont see why a small vac wouldnt work either.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Anyone try opening their PS3 and vacuuming directly? That would seem more effective. My PS3 is 14 months old, so the warranty is expired anyway...

How hard is it to open up a PS3?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was actually thinking about buying one of these and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/13003216

I use that air in a can for electronics. Just did it yesterday and it didnt hurt anything. I dont see why a small vac wouldnt work either.

that's not a very good thing to do since all your doing is blowing the dust basck in the system.

anyways the sony maual specifically says to remove dust use a low pwoered vaccuum cleaner or mini Vac like the OP suggested. that is the best way to clean the vents.

I wouldn't really worry about the PS3 failing because of not being dusted for several months it has a very efficient cooling system. at the most you should dust at least 1 or 2 times every 3 months.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
yes, I use a vaccuum to clean the dust from the vents.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/13003270

Anyone try opening their PS3 and vacuuming directly? That would seem more effective. My PS3 is 14 months old, so the warranty is expired anyway...

How hard is it to open up a PS3?

I did, and I detailed my experience in this thread over at Ars Technica.

Long story short, it's not hard to do, and when I did, I found a copious amount of dust inside. I had been dusting my unit periodically with a Swiffer thing, but after finding all of the dust inside, I started thinking that vacuuming was the way to go.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just use a full sized vacumn cleaner from the outside, since theres nothing you can damage with static electricity. Internals I use a small hand vac and a brush (though not on a PS3 rather other electronics, ie computers). Keeping your hot electronics dust free does prolong their life.

I recommend using DVD lens cleaners too, especially if you are a smoker.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serversurfer /forum/post/13003272

I was actually thinking about buying one of these and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

I just got one of those in the mail the other day and was going to try this myself.

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
Use a Vac at the outlet (fans) and use canned air at the inlet at the same time , thus forcing the dust to lift and get sucked out . I did his with an Xbox 360 for a year and when I had to open it to do the X-clamp mod there was hardly any dust at all inside .

--- Jason

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/13004475

Use a Vac at the outlet (fans) and use canned air at the inlet at the same time , thus forcing the dust to lift and get sucked out . I did his with an Xbox 360 for a year and when I had to open it to do the X-clamp mod there was hardly any dust at all inside .

--- Jason

Brilliant!!!!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I never read in the manual to use a LOW powered vacuum. OOPS! I've been using a shopvac, hope I don't damage anthing.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I own two PS3 systems, and have had both of them for years and years. I haven't ever done the vacuuming from the sides thing. I've decided that I'm going to open up both PS3's, and try to clean the dust out from the insides. I've watched a couple of youtube videos about opening up the PS3, and feel like that part of the equation won't be any big deal for me.

The big question I have though, is that the youtube videos that show people opening up a PS3, when they get the outer and inner lids off, they don't really show anything beyond that. Wouldn't the dust be under the BD drive and the other main components? The PS3 has a main fan right? Wouldn't the dust primarily be on that fan? But I think to get to that fan, you would have to move the BD player around, and the one thing that I worry about is that I will accidently disconnect something. I wish there was a youtube video that showed the person actually cleaning the PS3 from the inside, and using the compressed air and whatnot. All of the videos that I've seen, basically stop once the person has both lids off. They don't show anything beyond that, except maybe putting both lids back on.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/19258234

I own two PS3 systems, and have had both of them for years and years. I haven't ever done the vacuuming from the sides thing. I've decided that I'm going to open up both PS3's, and try to clean the dust out from the insides. I've watched a couple of youtube videos about opening up the PS3, and feel like that part of the equation won't be any big deal for me.

The big question I have though, is that the youtube videos that show people opening up a PS3, when they get the outer and inner lids off, they don't really show anything beyond that. Wouldn't the dust be under the BD drive and the other main components? The PS3 has a main fan right? Wouldn't the dust primarily be on that fan? But I think to get to that fan, you would have to move the BD player around, and the one thing that I worry about is that I will accidently disconnect something. I wish there was a youtube video that showed the person actually cleaning the PS3 from the inside, and using the compressed air and whatnot. All of the videos that I've seen, basically stop once the person has both lids off. They don't show anything beyond that, except maybe putting both lids back on.

Here is a link to the first video; there should be 4 parts. This is for fixing the YLOD problem that people are having but this should also provide you what your looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts