AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, OK yeah stupid question, but im unsure of the answer and hate to assume.

Im building my new system, and have gotten 2 used Technics SE-A5 MKII amps, and ive got speakers to test them on, but i havent settled on a preamp yet. But id really like to test the AMPs. I cant think of a reason why my PC wouldnt serve as a preamp, i mean when you hookup PC speakers, all they need are built in amplifiers, so stands to reason that my PC is acting like a preamp, right ..?? Am i missing something?

Will this work ? At least enough to test out the amps?

Loookin forward to the usual great help,

Shawn

PS i wont be hooking anything else up to the PC for now, ill just use Winamp and MP3s, i just want to make sure the amps work (they prob wont get a full test run till i decide on a preamp, but i wanna make sure theyre not duds)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Sure, but use old speakers until you get it sorted out.

Plug both into the same AC outlet.

Start simple and add things one at a time.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It certainly will work, and what Kevin said makes total sense. Some sound cards are a little noisy. If you find that to be true, you can always upgrade your sound card. I have always wanted to check out those USB models where the DAC is outside of a PC (PC's seem as if they would have a lot of RF interference inside the case.)

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamaXV /forum/post/0

Hey all, OK yeah stupid question, but im unsure of the answer and hate to assume.

Im building my new system, and have gotten 2 used Technics SE-A5 MKII amps, and ive got speakers to test them on, but i havent settled on a preamp yet. But id really like to test the AMPs. I cant think of a reason why my PC wouldnt serve as a preamp, i mean when you hookup PC speakers, all they need are built in amplifiers, so stands to reason that my PC is acting like a preamp, right ..?? Am i missing something?

Will this work ? At least enough to test out the amps?

Loookin forward to the usual great help,

Shawn

PS i wont be hooking anything else up to the PC for now, ill just use Winamp and MP3s, i just want to make sure the amps work (they prob wont get a full test run till i decide on a preamp, but i wanna make sure theyre not duds)

As a matter of fact, yes. I'm doing that (sort of).

I have a SoundBlaster Audigy NX external sound card, into which is plugged a standard Sony DVD/CD via the optical input, plus a Sony turntable. The Audigy is quite a competent card. It also has an optical out, so if your amp has one of those inputs, you could use that as well as the standard analog outs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.