AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am wanting to save power, get quieter and just want to use a picopsu. I have seen them for up to 120w but what should my max draw be for using that? I have a few htpc's ranging from athlon 64 4600 to 240 regor and intel e5200 and 2 in between. I just picked up a kill a watt meter and did some testing, the highest I saw was 110watts. My question is what is the max load I should put on a picupsu, either 20watts less or a certain % of it.

Also what is the best way for me to check my power usage. For testing I just fire up prime95 to max out my cores and watch hulu or a 1080p mkv or run a counter-strike source benchmark.

Edit - all are mirco atx with 3.5" hard drives (am more than liking going to slowly switch over to laptop drives which should lower draw).

·
Registered
701 Posts
First of all, if your highest power draw at full load, at the wall is 110W then you'll be fine with 120W pico psu's, but also keep in mind that there are other tiny psu's that are passive out there, I've seen as high as 200W on more than one of them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can also get a 150W picoPSU

I've been using a 120W picoPSU for over a year without any problems. My system was a Core2Duo E6400, LG Blu-Ray drive, 2GB RAM, PCI DVB-T dual tuner, 500GB SATA drive and various USB devices. I have recently upgraded to a Core i5-650, 2GB RAM and 120GB SSD SATA drive and I'm still using the tuner and Blu-Ray drive from my old system. Although my system is fanless as I have a Borg heatpipe connected to the side of my hfx classic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.