AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I bought a Toshiba D-R410, and I'd like to know if I can use a Zenith DTT901 Set Top Box as a tuner for it. The goal is to temporarily record television shows in a TiVo-like fashion, without the monthly TiVo fees.

Background: Yes, I knew the D-R410 had no tuner when I bought it. I thought that I'd be able to use a line output from the television to pick up the signal from the television's tuner (and watch the same show on tv while recording) but alas the television has no such line output! Now I'm stuck with no tuner.

I have just basic cable service and no cable tv set top box. But I could buy a set top box inexpensively, like the Zenith DTT901. This set top box has the 3-connector RCA output (Video and Audio LR) although I don't know whether the unit will send the analog pass through data along to these RCA outputs. Will this scheme work? Specifically, I would plan the following arrangement: cable input to DTT901; then DTT901 via RCA cables to D-R410; then D-R410 via RCA cables to television. Thanks for your comments! Andy

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
As Wajo said the 901 and every other CECB will be OTA only, no cable (digital or analog).

You'd need a STB that would output analog or digital(QAM) cable. OTA uses ATSC which is not compatible with cable.

Note most cable ready STBs probably sell for about the price of your Toshiba. This is the forum talking about STBs
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...rune=30&page=3

You'd probably be best getting a different DVDR or rent a cable STB from your provider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wajo and jjeff, Thanks for your quick replies!

I'll study more on the STB forum, but it sounds like I need to return/sell this thing.

Andy

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The Zenith is an incredibly good box for OTA, but won't work with "boxless" cable service. Any chance you could return the Toshiba? Its not the best choice to attach any kind of tuner to, most especially cable, because it locks out the record function whenever it imagines theres a "don't record" restriction on the program- and it has a vivid imagination.

The Phillips/Magnavox DVD/HDD machines covered by wajo are the only realistic choice for "boxless" cable use. I think I pay about $7 a month for my decoder box- its worth it to me because its required anyway to get certain channels I want like TCM. But if all you want is basic cable, factor in the cost of the box rental over 12 months time and it makes the Phillips/Magnavox a more reasonable investment. Alternatively, you could cave and just rent the decoder box- freeing you to use any recorder you want. Although the pickings are getting slim out there: aside from the Phillips/Magnavox the only recorders worth buying are the Panasonics. Everything else is pretty bad, especially for cable service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts