AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Charter cable, with two runs into the house.

One goes to my tv area, the other is in a bedroom and is hooked up to my cable modem, which is in turn hooked up to my wireless router for internet (10 meg service).

I want to split the cable before it goes to the modem, and feed an LCD tv and, of course, the modem.

Will this degrade my signal so as to make my internet not as effective?

Sorry for the naive question, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabo the Hut /forum/post/18148973

I have Charter cable, with two runs into the house.

One goes to my tv area, the other is in a bedroom and is hooked up to my cable modem, which is in turn hooked up to my wireless router for internet (10 meg service).

I want to split the cable before it goes to the modem, and feed an LCD tv and, of course, the modem.

Will this degrade my signal so as to make my internet not as effective?

Sorry for the naive question, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

Thanks.

Yes. A 2 way splitter will ALWAYS cut the signal power in half.

But, if the signal is strong enough, this might not be a problem. Passive 2 way splitters are cheap, buy one and see if it causes trouble. Your cable modem should have a status page that will show you the signal to noise ratio, look at the value before and after you add the splitter (and the second load, don't run the splitter with an unterminated output, that will cause problems). If the number doesn't change more than a dB or so, you should be fine.

If the signal is not strong enough, you may still be able to do it with a powered splitter, but make sure it one that allows the cable modems upstream signal to pass through it.

I use an 8 way distribution amplifier in my house before the cable modem without problems. (Channel Master 3418)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.