AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung SIR-TS160 HD Directv Receiver that is collecting dust. It cant receive signals from the new HD satellites. Could this be used as a converter box for an old analog TV? It has an antenna coax input and a coax output. I don't have an old analog TV to test it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogold /forum/post/15588759

I have a Samsung SIR-TS160 HD Directv Receiver that is collecting dust. It cant receive signals from the new HD satellites. Could this be used as a converter box for an old analog TV? It has an antenna coax input and a coax output. I don't have an old analog TV to test it.

I have never tried it. I would say yes if the ATSC part works without the satellite being activated. I might need to the old card to make it come one. It is advertised with I googled the product name to decode OTA ATSC.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
When we moved out to AZ and before we had Dish reinstalled I used my old VOOM receivers as a converter box for the digital locals. Worked great.

Jeff

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am using one right now. Just set it up with no dish and you can pull out the activation card. Scan for digitial channels and you should be set. You don't get a guide though. That is the only thing I miss. I think it has a channel 3/4 switch for the coax out. Many older TV have composite out also you could hook up to.

You can use that one on a computer monitor I believe. Doesn't it have VGA out also. Just have to find some speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts