Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am trying to help a friend set up a DTC 100 to get HDTV programming, but I am not sure if his hardware will work. He already had an oval dish pointed at the 101 bird, so he bought a multiswitch and then hooked up a spare oval dish to get the 119 bird, but we can't seem to find it in the sky. A tech from Thompson said that we MUST use an elliptical dish to get the 119 bird, but I don't know that he is correct. Can an oval dish be used, and if so, do you have any advice on finding the 119 bird?

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

·
Premium Member
7,156 Posts
Bob,

If you want a opne dish solution, you need the Elliptical or a specialy dish. When you say "oval" I'm assuming you mean a Dish 500 like oval (that only gets 110 & 119, not 101 & 110 & 119). You need a 8900E compatible dish and a switch (either the one that commes with the Elliptical, a 22kHz if one or two recievers each, or see below.

The best site to look at Dish configurations is:
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/

BTW, 119 is a bear. Do a search on 119 in this forum to see.

Also, if you trade your TAG for my 5800, I'll come out and put it up myself. I want my DPL II http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Good luck,

Tim

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, Thanks, Tim,

But it looks like my friend has 2 round dishes, not oval ones. I have my DTC 100 set up with one round dish pointed towards 101 and then the elliptical dish (8900) pointed towards 119, and I have no problems. Can he use 2 round dishes, one pointed at 101 and the other pointed at 119?

Quote:
Also, if you trade your TAG for my 5800, I'll come out and put it up myself. I want my DPL II
Hehe, Tim, Buzz is right around the corner in Norwood, so maybe you can work out a HDTV installation on his new home http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I am using two 18" round dishes with great success. Both must be dual LNB and be fed to a 4x4 multiswitch of the type that comes with the elliptical dishes.

Check the receiver owner's manual for instructions as to how to find aiming coordinates. The Hughes manufactured STBs have this feature. If not, I would think that Thompson should be able to provide the coordinates based on your zip code.

Publish your zip code here and perhaps some kind soul will look it up for you.

I would be happy to do it, however we in the Miami area have a zip code problem with the DirecTv guides; and I dare not enter a zip code, even my own, into my STB.

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
A second 18 inch dish will work very well. In fact it's the preferred method. The single oval dish forces you to compromise your settings to receive both satellites. With two dishes you can optomize your signal strengths. You should experience less rain-fade, too. Ideally, you'd have your friend switch to two 24 inch dishes if rade fade is a problem, as was for me in NYC. Now, it rarely happens, and when it does, usually it's for just a few seconds, and never more than a minute or so.

Be sure that he gets an HD switch, though, if he's using a multi-switch. And don't diplex the cable from the switch with any other feeds (cable, OTA antenna, FM, etc.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have two 18" round dishes. 101 is a dual LNB and 119 is a single. I get HD & NASA (from 119) and if I am missing anything I don't know it. This is through a 4 in / 4 out sw to a DTC100. The trick is to get the 2nd ant on the right bird. Hook it straight to the DTC100 for alignment so there is no doubt you are on the right antenna. You should get ch509 (HBO) or ch199 if you are on the correct bird.

JStigler

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys!

Quote:
I am using two 18" round dishes with great success. Both must be dual LNB and be fed to a 4x4 multiswitch of the type that comes with the elliptical dishes.
Yup, that's exactly what he has.

Quote:
Check the receiver owner's manual for instructions as to how to find aiming coordinates. The Hughes manufactured STBs have this feature. If not, I would think that Thompson should be able to provide the coordinates based on your zip code.
I don't have his manual in front of me, but I don't think they give instructions for anything but the elliptical dish. A call to Thomson prooved fruitless, as they only give tech support for the elliptical dish and said that they did not know the coordinates.

Quote:
Publish your zip code here and perhaps some kind soul will look it up for you.
My zip code is 02895. My friend lives about 12 miles away, and I don't know his zip code, but mine should be close enough http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
Be sure that he gets an HD switch, though, if he's using a multi-switch. And don't diplex the cable from the switch with any other feeds (cable, OTA antenna, FM, etc.)
I don't have the information in front of me, but it is the EXACT same switch as the one that comes with the 8900 dish, and he is not diplexing with any other feeds.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.