AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some good quality 12Ga. biamp speaker wire (as well as some cheapo CSW 16Ga.), I want to temporarily set up a cheap Harmon Kardon in another room just so I can use my Diva 6.1's while the theater is still under construction. Question is, can I use the biamp speaker wire to connect the speakers to the receiver without biamping? I would of course end up having an extra pair of exposed wires on both the speaker and receiver ends since I can only use a single pair of wires at the receiver's connection side. Also, as this is a very temporary and short term thing, I will use bare wire, no connectors yet for the speaker wire.

One other thing I just noticed, the receiver has TWO sets of "Front Main L&R" terminals, so does this mean I can then go ahead and use BOTH sets of speaker wires within the single thick biamp speaker wire to connect to the receiver? I understand this is usually done with higher quality separates, but just wondering (for learning and plain curiosity reasons) if I could also hook up the biamp wire to the two sets of 'Front Main' terminals on the receiver (it's an old Harmon Kardon AVR 25II btw, just an extra DPL receiver that's been sitting in the cellar collecting dust). Thnx in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the response Blade I appreciate it, however, could you please clarify if you mean that I should go ahead and connect both PAIRS of wires from one end of the speaker cable to the TWO sets of L&R Main terminals? Guess I'm just wondering if this will actually have any effect, don't know much about biamping so I didn't know if connecting the biamp speaker cable to the two sets of terminals on the back of a receiver labeled as 'L&R Mains' would have an effect or if you would really only do this with a separate amp.

Took a lot longer than I expected for anyone to respond so I just went ahead and used the regular cheapo 16Ga CSW wire yesterday to get things going, but I'll probably try the heavy-duty stuff when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

Jim

·
Registered
183 Posts
I heard from an audiophile friend of mine that you may get an audible improvement if you bi-wire.

Take a Biampable speaker (with 2 sets of terminals). Remove the Jumper which connects them... and then connect 1 of the 4 wires to each post. Now, twist the 2 positive and 2 negative together and connect to the same post on the Reciever.

Apparently this will remove any issues that the Jumper may add. Also deliver the power more evenly.

Harlan

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would definitely connect both high & low connections to the same speaker terminal instead of leaving them disconnected taking the chance of them touching shorting things out. You basically ended up having a thicker (lower gauge) connection, that's it.

PF

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anyone else ever hear of Bi-Wiring as I explained it above?

Thanks,

Harlan

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I did a little due diligence and realized I know even less than I thought I did which was nothing to begin with. Seems I am confusing Bi-amping with Bi-WIRING. So I apologize for using the term bi-amping and confusing the matter.

So, I understand how to connect the TWO pairs of wires inside the thick single cable of my speaker wire to the Diva 6.1s, but how would I connect the other four small wires at the other end to the receiver?

As I said, the receiver has two sets of terminals for L&R Mains in order to accomodate two sets of Main speakers if desired. Do I connect one pair of the small wires to one of these and the other set to the other L&R Main terminals? Or do I do as Harlan suggested and simply twist both neg. wires together and connect them to a single terminal on the receiver end, and do the same for the two pos. wires..., looking for some confirmation here? or am I wasting my time bi-wiring to a cheap receiver? Again, this is just for curiosity purposes, this isn't a permanent solution.

pmf, not sure I follow you but it sounds like your saying not to bi-wire at all, but to twist the appropriate wires together and use only a single pair of the terminals on the speakers and receiver ends.

Thnx once again.

Jim

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Jim,

Which HK receiver do you have?

Some receivers can be configured for two "zones" of output. They're wired so you can drive a pair of speakers in your main listening room or a second pair in another room. Some can have both outputs active at once, some can't. I believe that the ones that can have them both active at once often deliver lower power to both than if only one is active, but I could be wrong. At any rate, you'll need to make sure that the same power is actually being delivered to both outputs for this method of bi-amping to work well.

At any rate, why not try it? So long as you don't short the amplifier outputs to one another (e.g. make sure you remove the shorting bars on the speakers' inputs), you shouldn't hurt anything. Depending on how the second zone's volume level is controlled, calibrating the sound levels might be somewhat, umm, challanging.

Whether bi-wiring or passive bi-amping actually provides much of an audible improvement over the use of thicker guage wiring (twisting the pairs together appropriately) is a controvercial topic. The difference is very small, at any rate. Active bi-amping, where the frequency ranges of the signals are high-pass and low-pass filtered before they go into the amplifiers, certainly can make a difference (note I didn't say improvement ;) ), but you also have to match the external crossovers to the speaker drivers, removing whatever crossovers were used inside the speakers.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, here's a rule of thumb.

1) Electronic crossovers usually mean BI-AMPING, using two seperate amplifiers to drive your LOW and MID/HI drivers in a two way arrangement.

2) BI-WIRING is when you simply run double the pairs of wire to your speaker FROM THE SAME AMPLIFIER OUTPUT to your speaker inputs. So, you would have 2 pairs of wire from the amp, connecting to the speakers LOW and MID/HI terminals. (Some speakers have this, some don't. Also, don't forget to remove the shorting straps if you do have BI capabilitites)

Some say you gain sonic improvement with BI-wiring, I don't know, it's up to YOUR ears. But you DEFINATLY do gain it from Bi-Amping.

I was just saying in my previous post, as pmf clarified, just to use both pairs simultaneously to the amp and speaker terminals. Making a heavier gauge wire.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thnx a lot Selden, I appreciate the response. To be honest with you, I wasn't thinking it was going to be so much trouble asking the question. It was just that I had my Diva 6.1 speakers sitting around not being used (theater still under construction) and an old Harmon Kardon AVR 25 DPL receiver and Technics CD Changer, as well as 35ft of some heavy duty 12Ga Onix SP-100 bi-wire speaker cable and thought I'd throw them all together in a spare room so I could at least be listening to music on my Divas while the theater is being built. The receiver is not my primary equipment and the Onix speaker cable is just extra I had no real use for so this was more of an experiment with bi-wiring, not an essential solution. But it seems there is no straight easy answer for my circumstances, I was just more wondering if bi-wiring, on the receiver end, could be connected to the two "L&R Mains" terminals I mentioned this receiver has, or if bi-wiring is supposed to be connected in an entirely different way using separate amps instead.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond, I did learn a few points, I guess I'll just keep the cheapo standard 16Ga CSW wire connected for now.

Jim

PS> Thnx again Blade, I posted the above message before seeing your most recent message. I understand better now and it sounds like the bi-WIRING in this circumstance is probably not worth it. Thnx.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.