AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to build my own RGsB video interconnects which will replace the ones I currently own (Monsters, Better Cables, Vampyre, etc.). I am doing this because I really need custom lengths which my current cables do not offer - they are all of the 3' or 6' variey.

So, I will be left with a bunch expensive (albeit, non-reference) video cables. Can I use these cables to replace the cheepo audio cables I am currently using? Could they also be used for digital audio interconnects?

Thanks very much for any help you might be able to offer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They definatly could be used for digital audio interconnects. Probably audio too, but the shielding may be an issue...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. When you say shielding could be an issue do you mean that the video cables probably do not have enough shielding?

Out of curiosity, do medium-end (Monster, Vampires, etx.) video cables offer more shielding / performance than your typical skinny black ( red & white plugs) speaker wires that are included with most audio / video equipment?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Decent quality video cables have _way_ more shielding than run of the mill (or most expensive) audio cables.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Video cables have a 75-ohm impedance, whereas I believe audio interconnects are supposed to have 50-ohm?

Not that you'd notice except in a fairly revealing setup...

- David Eddy

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't believe there is a standard impedance for audio cables, as different preamps and amps vary in their input impedance. So the video cables will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.