Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could not find answers to queries below in the X1 thread.

Can I use an UPS (Offline, Quasi sinewave kind) for the Infocus X1? The switching time is around 2 -3 ms.

I stay in the area where there are frequent power cuts, hence will I need special power conditioning device? I already have a constant voltage transformer (CVT) for my audio set-up. So I guess it's OK to use this for the X1 also.

Will sudden frequent switch-offs affect lamp life, electronics inside?

Pl. let me know, in another week or so I will get my X1 hence the urgency.

Best Regards,

Vivek

·
Registered
550 Posts
There was a good thread on this a few months ago. Maybe you can search and find it. It went into a lot of detail about the shape of the waves and was a bit over my head but very interesting. I use a cheap computer UPS with my X1 because of all the power-outs and surges and spikes and all. A quick out seems to be fine it is when you get a quick off & back on that causes bulb problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Thanks,

But before asking the question I searched for the same in AVS and other groups. I could not find, anyway, I 'll refine my search.

Regards,

Vivek

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
I think the model number with 700 is the one thats minimum usable. You really need sine-wave power and if you spend less you get square wave. Not sure if thats usable by the projector. Sure it has a voltage regulator inside but why send it a square wave. Doubt thats good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have an old triplite one (mentions 286's in the manual :eek: )

i was trying to figure out why i was getting a rolling bright / dark bar (turned out to be a cable tv grounding issue (but came through on every input, but only on the projector)

anyway the ups made it even worse (its not sine wave, i think its modified square) anyway its worth a shot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm using a APC Smart-UPS 1000 - just make sure you get one with "AVR" (Automatic Voltage Regulation).

Saletel - I had the same problem with the rolling bars. Chance are, your cable is at fault. Simple test is to unplug your cable - if the bars disappear, try "grounding' your cable line. (Radio Shack has a satellite/cable grounding bar from around 3-5 bucks.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

I intend to use my old faithful CVT for the sinewave conversion + I already have APC 600VA UPS. Only thing I was not sure whether this UPS which is specifically built for a PC will suffice. The switching time is around 2 - 3 ms.

Another alternative is:

Don't use the UPS but feed the power thro' CVT. If there's a power outage, then at the most the X1 will switchoff. The X1 manual says that you can switch off directly, the lamp can take the slower cool down.

One more thing:

In a power failure, the power is intermittantly switched on and off. That's obviously harmful but does the X1 has any protection? Can it switch on immediately or does it have some kind of inbuilt timing mechanism where this suddden on - off is avoided.

Thanks,

Vivek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.