AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a relatively cheap home system (hopefully better than a HTiB).

So far I've got:

yamaha 5750 reciever

2 polk r30s (for front)

csi25 (center)

I need 2 rears and a subwoofer.

I've got about $250 in best buy gift certificates (at least $120 are non-transferable) so I'm really trying to use them up there.

they don't carry polk speakers and I've heard that you want to try to stick to the same brand of speakers. Should I try to buy some other brand speakers at best buy(and if so is it o.k. to get different rears and subwof.?- any recommendations in the low end??) or should I just use the best buy $$ for something else and buy polk rears (R15) and polk subs elsewhere (wife won't like this idea..)?

Thanks for the input,

Will

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You do NOT need to buy the same brand subwoofer as your speakers. For movies, it is critical to have the front & center match, but having different surrounds is OK. For multi-channel music, having matched speakers all the way around is the way to go - but in all cases the sub can be anything you want.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
If you wait for sales at Frys/Outpost you can get R15s for ~$50/pr. They will sound much better than surrounds from JBL or Klipsch that are available at BB with your Polks, cheaper too. I'm not sure what subs BB features but for $100 + shipping you can get a Dayton 10" from www.partsexpress.com .

Give your wife the $120 gift certificate as a present to persuade her :) .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.