Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new to this as you can tell. I have done alot of hard drive clone on the pc but I have never done one with the replaytv. I have read the faq several time and it seems that ghost hard drive image may work this is why I am asking. Please let me know if this could be done...

thanks

Todd...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Mikeyboy is correct; ghost does not work. Several people have posted explanations as to why that is so (I think it may be that the replay drive is not in FAT format, but I could be mistaken; if you are interested, just run a search in this forum for 'ghost').

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just wondering, Will the Win2k patch work in WinXP?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It should work ok. Win XP is only like a .1 version upgrade from Win 2K.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The reason why the patch utility works on W2K and not 95/98/Me:

NT Derivatives (as are W2K and XP) allow you to do raw logical block I/O to a drive, bypassing any file system, by simply opening a magical device name. Something like \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive.0 .

Open a file handle to that for I/O, make sure you're always reading/writing 512 byte buffers, and away you go. Seek and read/write.

Therefore, implementing the patch utility under NT was totally easy.

By contrast, the lesser windows (95/98/Me) don't allow you do do raw I/O that way. As a matter of fact, I have no idea how you'd do it. Therefore, lacking anyone with a clue, the port to those operating systems didn't happen.

So, there should not be any immediately compelling reason why it wouldn't work on XP, because as previously noted, XP is just a 1+ NT release. There could, however, be some niggly little detaily thing that changes in XP that would break it. That remains to be seen.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Even if it doesn't work in XP you could use the Linux boot disk and run the patch that way.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was just wondering if it would work in XP, I highly expect it to, Altho it is a Micro$oft product.

I have an XP box, as well as, WinME & Linux boxes. So doing the upgrade should be easy, once I finally do it....!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fubie
I was just wondering if it would work in XP,
No problem running it under XP. Works fine.

-Gary

·
Registered
38 Posts
my opinion is micro$oft has been taken over by our natural terrorists - the lawyers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.