AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a renovation and am starting from scratch.

Could I use in-ceiling angled speakers for all surround speakers (FL, FR, Ctr, RL, RR) without having to compromise too much (or maybe just FL, FR, RL, RR and use a sonos playbar or an under TV for the ctr speaker)?

It's for a family room with large flat panel as well as music, and the wife would prefer not to have visible speakers.

Considering these (but welcome suggestions):

HD-R65AIM

OSD Audio ICE870

Here's a couple of pics of what the soffits will look like:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Just to be clear I'm not the one whose advice you should be following since I have zero experience building home theaters.

With that being said I would only do that if I had no other options. Speakers are directional and are intended to be aimed at your ears. Plus I would think the sound waves bouncing off those windows even with curtains drawn might make for a bad effect.

But yes I think you could do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8  /t/1468077/can-i-use-in-ceiling-speakers-in-a-perimeter-soffit#post_23201701

Just to be clear I'm not the one whose advice you should be following since I have zero experience building home theaters.

With that being said I would only do that if I had no other options. Speakers are directional and are intended to be aimed at your ears. Plus I would think the sound waves bouncing off those windows even with curtains drawn might make for a bad effect.

But yes I think you could do it.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not set on doing it, but my wife would like them.

If there were very small wall mounted speakers that sounded great and filled the room, she'd probably be okay with that. As you can see in the picture, we have kinda large speakers hanging from the walls now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do this in my family room. It's not optimal, but it works pretty well. I wouldn't do it in a dedicated room, but it's a good compromise between function and WAF. I wouldn't recommend using the soundbar for the center with the in ceilings for FL & FR though - you want the speakers to be matched if possible, and the difference in height between the fronts and the center might throw the imaging off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you consider DIY, this link http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-267-246.html is about flat and reasonably small DIY onwall speakers.

Although the thread is in german, just by looking at the pics (i really like those on page 19 with the car graphics) you might get some ideas on how to make onwall speakers disappear by highlighting them

Just browsing the pics shouldn't take too long and give you some ideas on what the german forum readers came up with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedg12  /t/1468077/can-i-use-in-ceiling-speakers-in-a-perimeter-soffit#post_23202538

I do this in my family room. It's not optimal, but it works pretty well. I wouldn't do it in a dedicated room, but it's a good compromise between function and WAF. I wouldn't recommend using the soundbar for the center with the in ceilings for FL & FR though - you want the speakers to be matched if possible, and the difference in height between the fronts and the center might throw the imaging off.

That's a very good point about the Soundbar -- thanks.

It's all a compromise....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethien  /t/1468077/can-i-use-in-ceiling-speakers-in-a-perimeter-soffit#post_23202782

If you consider DIY, this link http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-267-246.html is about flat and reasonably small DIY onwall speakers.

Although the thread is in german, just by looking at the pics (i really like those on page 19 with the car graphics) you might get some ideas on how to make onwall speakers disappear by highlighting them

Just browsing the pics shouldn't take too long and give you some ideas on what the german forum readers came up with.

The posters in that thread have way more time, creativity and aesthetic vision that I do.

Very cool work done there.

I'm pretty certain my family would rather see some nice speakers than any art work I could produce (;-)

·
Registered
871 Posts
The Sonos Soundbar will not work as a center channel, the way it is setup is either to run 5 channel through it or use a pair of play 3's or 5's as rears, You could use in ceilings for WAF, just make sure you get something aimable like the Speakercraft AIM's, you may also want to take this over to the general area and not the dedicated theater room build area.

The in ceilings aren't perfect but it could work alright with the right speakers maybe look at some small wall mountable speakers as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves  /t/1468077/can-i-use-in-ceiling-speakers-in-a-perimeter-soffit#post_23203648

The Sonos Soundbar will not work as a center channel, the way it is setup is either to run 5 channel through it or use a pair of play 3's or 5's as rears, You could use in ceilings for WAF, just make sure you get something aimable like the Speakercraft AIM's, you may also want to take this over to the general area and not the dedicated theater room build area.

The in ceilings aren't perfect but it could work alright with the right speakers maybe look at some small wall mountable speakers as well.

Thanks, I've come to learn that since originally posting.

I'm learning towards scrapping the in-ceiling idea and just using NHT on-Wall speakers, as well as a matched center.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.